Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 1:38:41 PM EDT
It went a little past being timed, so I backed it off a bit.   Used a crush washer.   Is it ok, or should I have gone around again?  

**See last post**
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You're shitting me?  If you don't hit it perfect you have to start over again?  It's a Phantom 5C2, I've done it before on another rifle and my brothers with no issues of it coming loose.  Didn't think it would hurt but figured I'd ask here anyway.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Having the timing position "exact" isn't really that big a deal.  Just shoot it
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I know, but I'm anal.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, where's a good source for crush washers that won't rape me on shipping?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#9]
IM me your address and I'll get one in the mail.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, but I'm anal.  

as am i, thats why i have extra crush washers on hand when i build.

werd.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IM me your address and I'll get one in the mail.

Thanks for the offer, I'm working on an order from Brownell's and will get a couple from them.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
When I built my Middy, I talked to Denny from GTS.  He TOLD me the best way to install a FH to insure it doesn't overtorque (tweaking the crown and possibly affecting accuracy) is to "pre-crush" the washer.  Install the FH, probably RIGHT before being timed or be timed.  Then unscrew... Then screw it on and make it so you only have to torque it with the wrench for the last 1/4 of a turn or so.  

That's how I did it and have had no problems.  Unless you can hand tighten it to the correct timing (then it's been crushed too much I'd say), but if you are still having to tighten it with a wrench for at least an 1/8 of a turn, I'd go with it personally.  Shoot, that's how I did it to begin with!  

Gundraw
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top