Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2006 1:32:35 PM EDT
I posted about this some time back and have been working with this barrel ever since. This is a 16" Bushmaster M4 profile on a Bushmaster flattop upper receiver. I just swapped out a Bushmaster non-M4 profile barrel for the M4. (The original Bushmaster 16" barrel shot great.

The barrel shot about 12" right at 25 yards initially at mechanical zero. With a Bushy carry handle the rear sight had to be cranked almost all the way to the left side to zero.

Well, I thought maybe it might be the FSB/pin alignment thing so I removed the FSB and put on a FSB with a folding front sight-the non-pinned gas block kind-so I could tweak the alignment of the FSB. Same thing.

Next I replaced the removable carry handle and put on a DPMS stand alone rear sight. Same result.

Finally, thinking I just had two bad rear sights, I put an RRA EOTech Dominator base (the one with the built in rear sight) on. I rechecked the alignment of everything with a laser level jig. I leveled the top of the A3 receiver and got everything square. Same problem - 12" right at mechanical zero. Finally I tried the old engineering trick by pulling all the pieces off and trying them one at a time on another 16" barreled upper (J&T) and everything works just fine.

Now I know the pin is probably misaligned. I didn't want to file the slot in the upper - I'd rather have a barrel that shoots true. BTW there is no evidence of the bullet hitting the flash hider. So is my problem simply break in? (about 250 rounds so far) With 6 other AR's sitting in the safe, I've never had one do anything like this. Or, do I need to send the barrel back to Bushmaster?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on what I might be missing.
Pete
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
It really does sound like a problem fo Bushie to deal with.  Clearly you've done more than a reasonable job of trying to fix this thing yourself.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top