Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 1:54:51 AM EDT
I am building a 20 in. long range fifle but having problem trying to finish it.  It's missing a good scope and bipod.  The scope possiblities Leupold, Super Snipper, Schmidt Bender or ?  As for the bipod, I looking for a mil-spec that folds back against the grip instead of folding forward like the Harris.  Would much appreciate the help.  Thanks in advance.

Joe
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to be a lot more specific in what you want. The scopes you mentioned go anywhere from $180 for a low end Leupold to $2500+ for a S&B.
-What is your specific budget?
-What is your idea of "long range"? Is it 300yds? 1000yds?
-What kind of shooting are you doing, shooting steel in tactical type shoots or paper targets for itty bitty groups in NRA matches?

I currently own 3 Leupold MkIV (2 3.5-10x40 and 1 3-9x36 MR/T), 2 Nightforce NXS's, 2 USO SN3's and have shot with the S&B quite a bit. The S&B and USO's are head and shoulders above the Nightforces and the Leupolds in clarity and image. I would suggest the Leupold at a minimum if shooting paper as the lower priced Super Snipers are fixed power. The 10x most likely will not be enough at long distance (1000yds, it'll do but I find a little more to be better) and the 16x and 20x scopes may leave you with problems of mirage when the weather gets warm. A good happy medium is a used Nightforce (I bought both of mine for under $1000) as the glass is good and they have good solid adjustments that are needed for LD shooting.

As for bipods, why do you want it back against your handgaurd? Even on a rifle length handgaurd, a bipod folded back against it will get in your way. A Harris folded forward seldom goes past the length of the rifle and is very good
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top