Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:06:43 AM EDT
Hello all,

I'm going to be taking off my RRA Tele stock and putting on an A1 stock.  Would you be so kind as to tell me what tools I need to do this properly and possibly how to do it.   I'm ordering it from Fulton and would like to order any other parts I need at the same time.

I know it's been covered before and I'm sorry.   Thank you for all your responses.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
the only tool you need is a wrench to unscrew the castle nut and to screw the A1 buffer tube

btw, have you already read this?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, no, I've never read that.  I have the AGI video but it doesn't go over carbine stocks.  I hear RRA uses lots of loctite on this.  How do you get that off and will I need a vice block to hold the receiver still????
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
you usually have to apply heat to remove loctite
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm assuming just use a torch but is there a possibility of frying the finish if you use too much heat?????
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully if they did use loctite they used the blue stuff....just heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun for a little bit.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the  RRA wrench it has three teeth and you will need all the grip you can get. They are only about $6 from the vendors. Heat the nut to loosen the loctite.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I hear RRA uses lots of loctite on this.

I don't know if they use lots of it but they do use Loctite, #242 blue.

How do you get that off

Use heat and that RRA castle nut wrench.

and will I need a vice block to hold the receiver still????

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a spring loaded center punch, you will not need a wrench. Just unscrew the sharp point , set the spring for heavy and punch it against one of the indentations a couple times and it will be loose. Then I just unscrewed it with my hand then do it viseverses for reinstalling the castle nut on your A1 stock.

Works like a charm. I have done 5 or 6 this way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a search and found this thread.  I'm here at the shop, got my lower in a vice, have heated it with a torch til it was hot to the touch, used a three-pronged stock wrench, and have only managed to damage the threads on my buffer tube when the teeth lost hold of the slots on the caslte nut.

Should I keep hitting it with the torch?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top