Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2006 8:22:08 PM EDT
Hi all, I want to put together another weapon from scratch. (I did a kit and it works awsome) I'm told (by a co-worker) that I will not be able to head space it because headspacing is a matter of finding a bolt that happens to properly fit. I'm sceptical of this info due to seeing so many upper builds, and also some saying there is no need to headspace. Is it a matter of bying a barrel, carrier group, and an upper reciever, and such and putting them together or am I missing alot. Any and all input is appreciated.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#2]
+1. What Knee Dragger said .
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellas, this is looking alot more optimistic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
One more question; will headspacing or anything elso I should worry about change if I swap out an A2 upper for an A3? Thanks again.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One more question; will headspacing or anything elso I should worry about change if I swap out an A2 upper for an A3? Thanks again.  

No.  Headspace is based on the chamber, barrel extension, and bolt.  The upper receiver doesn't affect this relationship.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What about feeramps and stuff like that...about cuts?   Do I need to get anything specific ?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If your getting a receiver with feed ramps then get a barrel with feed ramp cuts.
Receivers without feed ramps will work fine with barrels that have feed ramp cuts.
Receivers with feed ramps will not work with barrels that do not have feed ramp cuts.
Clear as mud?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top