Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:11:30 PM EDT
A friend just bought his first AR.  It is the mid-length model.  As it sits, it has an A2 upper and there happens to be a full length buttstock on it (not for long though, going for the col. buttstock).  Next will come the rail along with a TD vertival grip.

As far as a rail he's looked at the Daniel Defense 12.0FSPM.  Are there any other rails you guys would go with?  And finally, the Aimpoint.  In an effort to co-witness the iron sights with the Aimpoint (mounted onto the rail) which mount would provide the proper height.

Thanks

* If you have pictures of your mid-length send them to me for ideas.    
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]

CMMG 16 inch midlength
Rock River lower.
Geissele DMR trigger
Magpul PRS stock
ACOG
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Midlength Pic Thread

DD12.0 (Note their new rounded rail nut); 16" WOA SS Recon Bbl.;  PRI Low Pro Gas Block; Mid Gas System; Larue 1.5 SPR/M4 1" Scope Mount; Troy BUIS
ETA: Pic
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 16" w/ midlength gas tube.  I installed the LaRue 9.0 (9") free float handguards.  I am really impressed with the quality of LaRue's products and they provide great customer service.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm probably going to add the Samson MRFS M to mine before too long...love that "monolithic" look.

-Jbot
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's mine:
RRA SS midlength
YHM FF rails
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9274/dsc011644gh.jpg
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Here's my mid-length Colt 6721 A3 tactical carbine with Denny's Guns Operator SOCOM type mid-weight barrel, LaRue 9.0 mid-length FF rails, TD VFG, Vltor club foot modstock and Knight's Armament Co. straight high QR Aimpoint mount (lower third co-witness) - I rebuilt it myself.

The DD rail would be a good choice, it's among one of the lightweight design than most of the other brands.

I also have two Samson FF rails, a mid-length and a rifle length models, they're slightly heavier than the DD or LaRue but the barrel doesn't have to be removed to install it.

Most of the different brands of Aimpoint mounts will co-witness either at the center or the lower third of the field of view.

The mount made by Aimpoint has an available optional mount spacer to raise the optic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is mine.  Denny's Operator barrel.  

Paul
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my Mid with a DD 12.0FSPM which I circumsized.  I thought it had too much material up front and removed it!

The DD rails are LIGHTER than the LaRues...   I do like LaRue's new QD swivel mount at the rear of the HGs like ManekiNeko has!

jutoii-  those aren't FF rails.  Sorry...

Alpha-Romeo3- I didn't know Aimpoint made the QRP that you are referring to.  The spacer for the QRP is REQUIRED for flattop mounting.  It's when mounting on a cantilever carry handle mount that you don't need the spacer...  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I used the JP V-Tac FFT,   and a low profile gas block,   is good shit,  but expensive,  the V-tac with the top rail is $180 +shipping.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Good eye, Joseph.  I didn't install the rails-they were already on the upper, and I assumed it was they were FF. Geez, I built the damn thing, and you caught it from a picture.  I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#12]
you are better off.  YHM FFs are a little on the large size.  I had a carbine and with KAC panels (same size as yours) they are very thick.  That's one more nice thing about the DD- the oval profile.

kells81- you got off on the cheap side with your rail.  Some people are crazy enough to spend $280!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#13]

16" mid with Larue 9" and chopped front site gas block.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top