Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 3:11:04 PM EDT
Hello, all!

I picked up a Miculek compensator at the local gunshow last weekend. The compensator has three slots/ports on each side; the front two are aligned with each other, but the rear one is offset a smidge. There are no instructions or pictures on the packaging indicating if the compensator is to be installed with the rear ports offset up or down; I assumed they were to be offset up to counter muzzle rise, and installed it thusly:

(The oil on the compensator was intentionally applied to make the ports stand out in the image.)

Is this the correct orientation for the compensator, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

DL
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any washers in there? I believe it should be venting up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Nope, no washers. The package ships with a jam nut that is tightened against the compensator to lock it in place. The jam nut is visible in the image, behind the compensator.

DL
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It vents out the side (There are ports on the other side as well).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you have it on correctly.  It is time to go to the range and annoy your neighbor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It's on backwards.  Try again.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes, you have it on correctly.  It is time to go to the range and annoy your neighbor.

I was under the impression the Mini-Y compensator had the dubious distinction of being the loudest compensator money can buy. Or am I mistaken? Is the Miculek one just as loud?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the impression the Mini-Y compensator had the dubious distinction of being the loudest compensator money can buy. Or am I mistaken? Is the Miculek one just as loud?

It is not as loud as the mini y but it will definately get the attention of anyone on either side of you.  The best place to be is behind it.  I have one on my game gun and love it.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:07:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Blast enhancers sure are fun to shoot beside of when you are on the firing line.  They should make you sit beside someone with a blast enhacer for 2 hours before you are allowed to buy one!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm slap a thin section of steel pipe around that and it would function as the teeniest of sound dampeners.  But yes, they are loud.  Very loud.  Insanely loud.  Don't sit next to anybody at the range, they will kill you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe you have it on correctly.  Jerry M.s brake is similiar to the Bennie Cooley comp like on my 3 gun AR where the vents are at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.  Mine does have some very small ones on top and I drilled another on the right side per the instructions to make the recoil move straight back and not climb to the upper right.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Shot the AR with the Miculek compensator last night.

Pros: The compensator did a truly remarkable job of mitigating recoil and muzzle rise. With the original A2 birdcage FH, the rifle would "bobble" and recoil slightly with each discharge; with the Miculek compensator, I did not notice any perceivable movement with each shot. In fact, when shot offhand (i.e., not benchrested), there was almost no recovery required to bring the red dot back on target between discharges. Truly amazing!

Cons: Equally amazing was the noise level. Yes, this compensator is loud. Very loud. Very, very loud. The sharp crack of the report made it through two layers of hearing protection (plugs and muffs) and was starting to give me a headache after about 40 rounds. The shooting stall had partitions on both sides, which probably exacerbated the noise problem and also caused the lateral blast from the compensator's ports to blow items like target sheets and mousepads off the shooting bench.

I am fairly certain that shooting outdoors will mitigate the noise problem somewhat. If not, I might have to consider reinstalling the A2 birdcage FH to save my ears!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top