Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 2:45:33 PM EDT
I am assembling my first AR, have a complete lower (DoubleStar) and ACE ARFX stock on the way. Found a post-ban Bushmaster Dissipator A2 Upper at a local shop, basically it's new-old-stock, unfired. It has the pressed-on AK style brake on a 14.5" barrel for a total of 16", so it would be tough to modify. I would prefer A3 with a threaded barrel, but at $250 (no bolt,carrier,handle) is the A2 a must buy??

Anyone have experience with this kind of brake?? If so, how was the accuracy??
I have heard of some accuracy concerns from the gunshop commando squad, but always take those reccomendations with a grain (or ton) of salt.

Thanks,
ElKabong71
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
it's an ok deal, but i would pass. if you want an upper, buy CMT here

your main concern for accuracy should be placed in a barrel. it sounds like you need to ask yourself a lot of questions. do you want a bench shooter or a carbine? velocity tends to drop off on these rifles once you get below 16" worth of barrel. if you just want a short rifle for tac. classes then go ahead and get a 14.5" with a phantom. do you want a M4 barrel extension? if so, then you'll need M4 cuts in your upper to properly take advantage (however small) of them. what twist do you need? if you are going to shoot heavy ammo, then you'll need a 1/7. conversely, if you're gonna shoot varmit ammo, then a 1/12 will be fine. chrome lined for ease of cleaning or steel for accuracy? (though you will probably never out shoot a chrome lined barrel)

provide a little more info as to your needs and we can try and steer you in the proper direction. FWIW, these people make pretty good quality barrels: CMMG
good luck.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top