Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:31:26 AM EDT
Just finished my first AR last evening. At least I hope so. Thanks for all the threads, photos, opinions and ideas. Assem. was a breeze, I did what everyone said and put my receiver and detent spring in inside a clear plastic bag. I bought the $5 tool and I only missed once, the bag caught everything, then next attempt was perfect. I have a question, when I put my hammer pin in, it did not seem to click or feel like it was set in place. Can anyone tell from the photo. Everything seems to function fine, It just didnt feel like the trigger pin when in place. Its a DPMS upper and lower. RRA 2 stage trigger/parts kit. This is addictive, I didnt finsh my first and started buying parts for second.....haha.

http://www.webmail.suscom.net/Session/2410710-lL7F2Ta000Bp52aIMOZL/WebFile/AR15%20006.jpg

http://www.webmail.suscom.net/Session/2410710-lL7F2Ta000Bp52aIMOZL/WebFile/AR15%20001.jpg
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
B.M.

I dont know why the pics didnt show up, I previewed it and it looked ok.....

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably will not be able to tell much from a pic anyways. Try pushing on the pin from both sides to see if it pushes out easily. If it doesn’t budge your good to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats what I have been doing. With very little effort it seems to slide in and out on both sides. I know the hammer spring rests in the small groves of the trigger pin, but nothing seems to hold the hammer pin in place. Am I missing something? It can be inserted either way right? Did the link work for anyone?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
This is taken from the above tacked thread on assembling your own lower. Remove your hammer pin and pull out the hammer. Check the “j” hook mentioned below. It might not be placing enough tension on the hammer pin.

Q2. do you ever find the trigger and hammer pin move, or are they held in place fairly well? Ive seen some locking pins, are they necessary?

A2. If the FCG is installed correctly.... there will be no movement of the pins. There is a "j" hook installed in the hammer that firmly holds the hammer pin in place..... so that cannot move. Then, when the hammer is installed, one of the legs of the spring rest in the groove on the trigger pin, so that one cannot move. I dont see the real use of "anti-walk" pins unless you are running some sort of custom trigger that does not have these designs in place. Or, if you do not want the pins to rotate in the receiver, you can install oversized pins like in the RRA triggers, or a KNS pin set which locks them from moving sideway or rotating.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks....when I get home tonight I'll check it out. I have a RRA 2 stage trigger, it looks a little different but I'll check it out again. By the way, after I was all done, I did have one spring left over, the disconnect spring from the lpk, but used RRA's 2 stage instead. Had a brief but momentary heart failure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Got home last night and took the hammer pin and assembly out. The RRA 2 stage trigger has a pin inside in the middle that centers itself on the hammer pin. Holding it in my hand (outside of the receiver) it clicks in and out of place no problem, but when assembled in the receiver it just doesnt seem to click or have that positive feel. With a small punch I can move the pin in both directions about 1/16 on an inch. Is this right? The trigger pin does not do this. Maybe this is just the way it is. Its not like its going to FALL out. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If the hammer j-hook engages the hammer pin recess out of the receiver I don’t see why it wouldn’t engage when installed in the receiver. Re-assemble everything and take her out shooting. If the pin wonders while firing, then you can re-evaluate things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks QUIB, thats what I thought as well. Better safe than sorry, this is my first build so I tend to ask questions first. I'll post photos in the gallery.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
J pin in the hammer holds the hammer pin in place (uses the middle annular groove of the pin).

Hammer spring legs resting on top of the trigger pin (in the trigger side C ends) holds the trigger pin in the receiver (uses one of the side annular grooves of the pin).

Since I can not get the photo to link, best guess is that you have the hammer spring legs resting against the bottom of the receiver cavity, and not on top of the trigger pin.
www.quarterbore.com/images/dias_colt.jpg

Hey there buddy.... you should send that receiver to me h.gif
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top