Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:34:28 AM EDT
Howdy Folks
I would like to have a AR-15 type rifle. At the gun show yesterday I was looking to buy an AR-15 made buy Rock River. They also had numerous parts, kits, options etc etc.... that just boggled my mind. The price of this rifle is $950. out the door. It had a 16 inch barrel extending stock and they would change it over so that it had a flat top and include a carry handle with sights, 223/5.56 caliber.
What would I save buy trying to put this together myself ? Is it worth the time for the money I would save.
No problem with being mechanically inclined. I just like to shoot and have been thinking about an AR-15 for quite some time now. Appreciate your replies.  MC
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
When you build your own you can save quite a bit of cash depending on the parts you use.

Putting your own rifle together also gives you a better understanding on how the weapon works mechanically, which is especially useful in figuring out how to repair it if it breaks.

Knowing you put it together with your own hands also gives you a bit more appreciation for the rifle. Its YOUR rifle, you know?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Howdy DocBack
I have no problem putting one together I've torn down M-1 Garands, SKS, Swiss K-31's, Turk Mausers,K-98's you name it. I'm just bewilderd by all the different options available. At the gun show they also have DPMS stripped receivers you can buy and build up. Are you better off buying a stripped receiver, build it up and then get a completed upper? On average what do you save. I'm new to all this so excuse me if I'm sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about. Just trying to sort out the best way to go. Thanks MC
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
listen to your doctorclown
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I just built my first AR last month (well, its a Cali one so I had to fix a 10 round mag in it... for now).

The lower craze pushed prices of lower recievers up to $250 after all the DROS and transfer fees, then I ordered an el-cheapo kit from Del-Ton (still nice quality) for about $540 which consisted of a 16" HBAR Flat-Top Upper with carry handle, a 6 position telestocking buttstock and a standard lower parts kit.

Seeing as you live in a Free-State, you can get lowers for as cheap as $99 bucks. If you go the route I did you can put your rifle together for as low as $700. Other kits are a bit more pricey, but you don't have to go with a packaged deal like I did. Choose what you like and build your dream rifle!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a DPMS Stripped Lower for $156 Shipped to a FFL Dealer with the lower parts minus the handle and stock which I have off my Colt Match Target anyways. Got a good friend that has A FFL so NO FEES! I'm building a lower for a AR .458.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=45469392
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Building can save you quite a bit of money.

Rock River chrome-lined midlength upper.
Mega lower with Rock River lower parts kit.
Cav Arms M4 stock.
RRA tac handle.
Less than $670 IIRC

Mega lowers are made in your home state and are very nice quality.  Color also matches well with RRA uppers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
You can still BIY for cheaper currently, AFAIK.

You might wish to get a kit rather than buy all of the parts individually; when I built my rifle, I found I could have saved if I had bought a kit.

Del-Ton is a good distributor, satisfaction has been high from what I can observe on this board.

Lowers ARE cheap in free states, particularly right here on our own EE! Search for the term and you will find a lot on offer.

ETA: plan on spending 1k after all is said in done in any case...you will want a sling, case, mags, probably 1k of ammo (which for Wolf is about 150 itself), all that stuff adds up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I am just finishing my 1st AR,1st build,  I would do it again. I built it the way I wanted it to be. It wasn't cheaper to do it this way than to buy one but if you upgrade your parts and customize your rifle its probably cheaper to build it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Howdy All
I appreciate all your replies and am learning a lot as I go. I realize you folks are tired of answering the same questions from us new guy's but I can tell you it helps a bunch.
If I went and bought a DPMS lower today at the gun show and a kit to build it up would a DPMS upper be the way to go, or, would a Rock River upper fit the DPMS receiver too ? I know it is a matter of personal choice just need to know if the parts interchange. Keep those replies coming.  MC
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#10]
If everything is built to spec, parts should be interchangeable.

Rock River upper with Mega Lower.  The fit was perfect.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Even if you decide to go with predominately factory guns in the future, everyone should build at least one just to know how everything works.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Howdy All
I appreciate all your replies and am learning a lot as I go. I realize you folks are tired of answering the same questions from us new guy's but I can tell you it helps a bunch.
If I went and bought a DPMS lower today at the gun show and a kit to build it up would a DPMS upper be the way to go, or, would a Rock River upper fit the DPMS receiver too ? I know it is a matter of personal choice just need to know if the parts interchange. Keep those replies coming.  MC

I wouldn't buy a DPMS anything other than a .22LR coversion upper.

Look for Mega, Stag, RRA, or one of the other $100+/- lowers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Howdy Burrito
They did have Mega and I believe Stag receivers. What don't you like about DPMS?  MC
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#14]
The general consensus is that Megas have the best machining and finish quality, I however can't stand the "Gator Grip" in front of the magwell. The way I see it, really, is a lower is a lower is a lower is a lower. Pick the one that has the coolest looking design to you in your eyes. I myself am fond of the LAR Grizzly lower. My name is Lars, grizzly bears have been my favorite animal since I was a kid, and I live in California and its one of the lowers unlisted and legal to buy here in CA. The finish is nice, yeah, but I got that one because I LIKED it. I could have gotten a Stag or a Mega but I chose that one because it had the most "cool-factor" to me.

So what I'm saying is go with what you think looks coolest on the side of your rifle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Evening Folks
Thanks all of you who replied to my post and the info you provided. Decided to go with a Mega lower and get the kit/ kit's to build it up. Will be awhile till I get it done as I'm busy working overtime, house and sons wedding comming up etc. Thanks again. MC
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Also if you're a po boy and got some patience, you can just build as you get the money. As I say about building computers, you get what you want, know what's in it, how it works, etc. There really is no downside to building one yourself, in my eyes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
there are many advantages to building your own rifle.  One you get to make it any way you want.  Two you dont  have to pay that stupid FET tax
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:10:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Also if you're a po boy and got some patience, you can just build as you get the money. As I say about building computers, you get what you want, know what's in it, how it works, etc. There really is no downside to building one yourself, in my eyes.

This the way I do it,This is the barrel from the EE for my first complete upper. Colt M/4  1/7 New 200.00

Complete,

Next,Another Colt 20" Gov/Profile 1/7 from the EE used 220.00.Paid a little too much but really nice.

As long as I have some to shoot I have the patience to wait!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Most of us can not build one as cheap as you can buy one.  This is why.  Most of us doing any sort of custom build will use specialized parts that the ABCR's dont offer on thier builds.  For instance on the SBR I am building.  I am going to use a Noveske BBL and KX3,  Crane SOPMOD stock, Geiselle DMR 2 stage trigger, Samson 10" MRF, EoTech 553, PRI flip up front sight, ARMS #40 SP BUIS.  When the smoke clears I will have spent way too much damn money on this rig, but I will be the one who built it and know every nut and bolt in the thing.  That is the advantage of building, you can get exactly what you want not just some run of the mill gun just like every other gun.

Now if you are trying to do the economy build you can get away with spending way less money and still have a gun basically just like everyother gun.

I hope this helps!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#20]
BUILD it, you have no idea how much you would learn ...I am currently building my AR and i love the way it is ....

I would suggest you to build it, so taht you can get the parts that you want, it might cost you more or less depnding on the model you want,

I have picked the stag lowers along with stag uppers, but rest of them are RRA or whatever ..

Names arent important to me, just making sure it works, thats all I care about ..
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top