Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:54:03 PM EDT
I am building a 20" varmint barrel ar15 rifle, was wondering if the DPMS Free Float Tubes are any good? Has anyone encountered any problems? Or how about the FA enterprises free float tube?
Are they machined tight?

MickeyJr.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at the Yankee Hill Machine free float tube?  I would have put one on my middy if they made that length but they don't yet.  They make the rifle length tube.  They make good stuff and the price is right.

Bill D
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I wanted a plain Jane style FF Tube (no rails, just smooth) on my Varmint AR.  I ended up getting a great deal on an RRA, which is very nice quality, however it has some heavy knurling on the grip area, which I don't prefer.  The deal was good, so I can live with it.  I'm happy with the tube, it's just a little more "grabby" than I was looking for.

My brother built a Varmint AR and got a good deal on a DPMS upper, with FF tube  installed.  I like the DPMS tube better than my RRA tube.  It is solid, and very well built.  We had some issues with the how the upper was assembled (we bought it NEW from DPMS in person at a gunshow!).  So I dissassembled the upper, and fixed the problems.  

The DPMS tube is a very nice, quality built tube (I think we just got an upper that was put together on a bad gunsmith day, but all problems are fixed now).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The DPMS FF tubes are fine just remember to use some locktite on the tube threads. I have had my tube come loose but locktite fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wanted a plain Jane style FF Tube (no rails, just smooth) on my Varmint AR.  I ended up getting a great deal on an RRA, which is very nice quality, however it has some heavy knurling on the grip area, which I don't prefer.  The deal was good, so I can live with it.  I'm happy with the tube, it's just a little more "grabby" than I was looking for.

My brother built a Varmint AR and got a good deal on a DPMS upper, with FF tube  installed.  I like the DPMS tube better than my RRA tube.  It is solid, and very well built.  We had some issues with the how the upper was assembled (we bought it NEW from DPMS in person at a gunshow!).  So I dissassembled the upper, and fixed the problems.  

The DPMS tube is a very nice, quality built tube (I think we just got an upper that was put together on a bad gunsmith day, but all problems are fixed now).

Ur not the only one with a pos upper from dpms. I also got one from them at the excel a few months back. Works fine now though. ditti
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
i still use the one on my 308.  had one on carbine bull barrel, switched to a yhm modular.  they will get hot in the summer.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top