Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:33:47 PM EDT
I have an LMT lower that I am considering putting a Magpul M93B on but I'm hesitant of removing the stock buffer tube nut since it's been staked. Every other buffer tube that I've removed hasn't been staked so I'm worried about damage to this one. Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Just remove it like any other.  I removed one from a Colt without any problems.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just remove it like any other.  I removed one from a Colt without any problems.

So what you're saying is that the nut will just slip right past the staking and I'm being too paranoid?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The purpose of staking the nut is to prevent it from loosening with extended use.  It will take a little extra effort to remove it the first time as the stake part has to be bent or broken off (this happens when you unscrew the nut).   After disassembly, use a fine file or emery cloth the smooth the are where the stake was.  You can use a LIGHT thread locking compound such as blue Loc-tite if you are concerned with the nut working loose.  Use it sparingly.  You could also stake it again.  Just use a small punch and line up with another area of the nut.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the piece of mind... I'll give it a shot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top