Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2006 4:51:23 PM EDT
I found a good price on a RRA receiver.
Now I need to decide what to build on it.
I would like to build it with my 11 yr old son and have him be able to shoot it.
How do I decide what brand of parts to use and what type of AR configeration to build.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
go thru the pictures other other peoples build and see what you like

Mike
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
build a 16" midlength, excellent first rifle. Why not build with RRA parts the fit and finish will be a perfect match to the lower. I recommend ADCO
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If your looking for an affordable kit go with M&A parts.    +1 on the midlength.

www.m-aparts.com
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
also, collapsible stock would be a good idea so it fits both of ya
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
+1     for ADCO
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I also have a boy but he's only 10 y/o now so I'm still planning on what to build for him in about a year or two from now.

I'm thinking of getting a 16" lightweight CAR flat top upper or same with a mid length Gov't profile barrel.

The standard CAR handguards, 5/ 6 position CAR (not M4 type) collapsible stock and an A1 type grip would be a good choice and should fit a small person.

If my son thinks that the rifle have too much power I could build him a dedicated .22 LR AR upper so he could practice with it and then when he's ready move up to the 5.56 caliber upper.

As for brands just avoid the known bad brands and just go for the best bang for the buck.

In my own case I'll probably get parts from CMT, Stag Arms, RRA, Double Star, Cavalry Arms (furniture), Bravo Company, etc.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top