Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 3:57:45 PM EDT
So that it will match my CMMG upper?  My RRA lower is more of a charcoal and doesn't match up at all.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/  

For the lazy

www.johnnorrellarms.com  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link, but it'll be years before I refinish.  I did think about it though!  

Here's the deal, I'm going to buy another lower and would prefer one that matches.  Not an absolute, but if I can get one that matches, what the hell.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A Mega might be a better match.

My brother had one that was too tight in the magwell, I had one that was too tight, I've seen lots of folks here with a tight magwell.  That was the last Mega I'll buy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Stag arms would look good, but I'd like to hear any other suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmasters are black
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So that it will match my CMMG upper?  My RRA lower is more of a charcoal and doesn't match up at all.  

Check DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
just bought a stag lower last week, black as coal, especially when I think about the old, grey M-16's in the army
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Mega might be a better match.

My brother had one that was too tight in the magwell, I had one that was too tight, I've seen lots of folks here with a tight magwell.  That was the last Mega I'll buy.

There was some discussion about this a while ago but I believe it has been addressed.  In three Mega lowers, with 800 units between the serial numbers, all have been perfect in the magwell.  I've never had any problems with mags dropping free.  I use D&H and NHMTG mags and have been very pleased.

Mega's have a nice deep black teflon finish that has been spot-on consistent between all three lowers.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bushmasters are black

My Bushmaster lower is blue/grey if you hold it under a light.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushy's are too exspensive.  I think the Mega would be the closest but I'm concerned about the magwell issue.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Cant go wrong with DPMS lowers.. they have the best finish I have ever seen IMO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]
My Lauer LCW is very black.  No tight fittings anywhere.  The magwell is generous except with one bad cooper I'm going to chuck.

BTW - I refinished another lower with norrell's black and it was a fun and rewarding project.  If you're careful you'll get professional results your first time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
If you wipe some CLP on the RRA lower and let it soak for a little while (i.e. a couple hours or something), it should darken up.

IIRC, anodized aluminum is porus and can still absorb the CLP.

My RRA lowers are darker than sin.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I think your best bet is to take the upper with you to a place that sells lowers to compare.
IMO, every "brand" of lower has had differences in color even compared with there own. I have bought a few complete factory built Bushy's with mismatched color, then traded around upper/lowers among them and still couldn't get a "perfect" match;and have built about 5 rifles on Grizzly lowers---the first 4 were pretty damn close to the same---then the last one I built about 2 weeks ago had a MUCH different color---didn't really notice or compare when i bought the lower 2 months ago.
Probably has more to do with variations in the anodizing vendor/batches than anything.
my 2 cents
ETA:  not much of a Colt fan, but the earlier (Colt grey) rifles ALWAYS seemed to match, even swapping around--much more consistent
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you wipe some CLP on the RRA lower and let it soak for a little while (i.e. a couple hours or something), it should darken up.

IIRC, anodized aluminum is porus and can still absorb the CLP.

My RRA lowers are darker than sin.

WIZZO

Plus1 all my RRA lowers are very black
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#20]
How about a CMMG lower to go with the CMMG upper?

I've got an Ameetec lower and a CMMG upper. The color match isn't perfect, but it's not bad.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I think my stag lower was kinda close to the blackness of my CMMG upper. The upper is a bit darker, but not nearly as dark as one of my Mega lowers. Its also a different type of finish so the texture looks off.

Here is a pic of my stag lower and CMMG upper.

http://virtualpimp.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/album27/DSC00085.sized.jpg
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah How bout a matching CMMG lower?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Doublestar Corp's lowers are black.  I have two
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Just an idea.  When I started with my RRA stripped lower, I basted it in Sheath from Birchwood Casey.  And I mean it was coated.  I let it sit overnight and then wiped it down with a dark blue towel.  Another light coat of Sheath (I used a slow stream of air from the compressor to dry it quick and even) to smooth it out and the thing looks like like its been coated.  Holds up well and just a light coat as needed brings it right back.  Try it...i think you will be happy.

Voodoo
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top