Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 6:40:29 PM EDT
I went to assemble my lower this evening (first one) :)

I am using RRA parts from Eagle Firearms

As I came to the end of the asembly, I noticed that I was missing the buttstock screw needed to fasten the A2 buttstock to the buffer tube.  Upper buttplate screw  hat
I assume it's a black anodized machine screw.    What sort of head?

Can someone post a pic of the head so I can try and find the right one?

Thanks...

Karl
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 sales sells the screw alone so you know you're getting the right thing.  Plus they have good service and a better return policy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Umm.. yeah... I know...

But I don't want to mail order a $0.50 screw.  I can go to the local Ace hardware that has little cardboard boxes full of thousands of different sizes and varieties of screws and probably purchase one tomorrow.

Rather than play the guessing came and possibly strip the threads in the buffer tube, I'd rather know what to try and locate.

I just need to know the dimensions of what I'm looking for.

This way I can shoot this weekend, instead of next.

But thank you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the real one. It has a cool drain hole drilled in the shaft!

But in the meantime you can get a replacement from the hardware store.

I'll go take some measurements.

Looks like a 1/4" x 1 1/8"  28tpi flat head machine cap screw. (countersunk, overall length is 1 1/8", has a 1" threaded shank).

Does that make sense?

ETA I suggest you take the buffer tube to the hardware store and try it out. I THINK my measurements are right but I'm no machinist.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I will eventually get a correct one.

I'm just dying to finish this assembly after waiting a month for all the parts to be gathered.  Plus I wanna go shoot. :)

Not trying to be snippy with everyone... just anxious... and a little frustrated after trying to get the NM hammer pin installed... what a bitch to get it aligned just right (while keeping pressure on the springs).  The front detent was a breeze compared to that.

It all went well though... passed safety checks just fine.  :)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if you'll find one in a hardware store, unless it's a very big hardware store. I forget the thread pitch but it's not your usual 24 (coarse thread) or 28 (National Standard Fine). I think it's more like 32 threads per inch.

If you can't find one IM me your address. I've got one that Olympic Arms uses on their rifles I'll let you have. It's the proper length and thread pitch, but it's finished in bright zinc (like your common hardware store screws), is Phillips headed and doesn't have the weep hole drilled threw it. Outside of not being close to mil-spec it does a fine job of holding the buttstock on the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone?  

Ummm, look above.

I actually measured one and gave the measurements. And I counted the threads. 28tpi. (threads per inch)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks... your edited reply was after my last post.

Thank you ALL for pitching in.

Problem solved.

Happy shooting!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top