Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 6:52:42 AM EDT
Ok guys, I currently have this gun (no bayo lug, AK break perm attached on 14.5 in barrel).  I want to get this gun (bayo lug, free float hand guard w/ rails, 16 in barrel with non-perm flash sup, and milled front gas block with flip up front and rear sights.)

What is the best way to get there?  I can (a) sell my current rifle and pay the difference to get the new rifle from Bushy, or (b) sell my upper, and build a new upper with what I want or (c) other.

What is my best path?  I've never built a rifle before, but I'm fairly confident I could do it, I just don't know where to buy the parts.  But it may be more cost and time efficent to just buy what Bushy has already put together for me...  

What do you think???

Chris
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Well Chris the simplest thing would be to just order a new upper. You could order a new barrel and upper, but you can buy one already assembled for about the same money.

You could then sell your A2 upper or just keep it. Course, if you keep it, then you're going to have to get another lower and parts kit and start building. Then those two complete rifles are going to start getting lonely all by themselves, so you'll have to start saving for another kit!!!  Pete
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep your rifle and buy the new one.........................................then later buy a no-ban barrel for your current rifle....................................................then later build another rifle based on the old barrel..............................................................................then later put a no ban barrel on that rifle...............................................................................................then later use the post-ban barrel as the start of a new build.ect, ect, ect.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You could then sell your A2 upper or just keep it. Course, if you keep it, then you're going to have to get another lower and parts kit and start building. Then those two complete rifles are going to start getting lonely all by themselves, so you'll have to start saving for another kit!!!  hr

This is exactly what my wife is afraid of!  I tried telling her that she needs a rifle just for her, but I already used that one when I bought my M1A, so she didn't fall for it twice...  

I currently have an A3 upper, so I could just replace the barrel with the 16" and get a free float handguard and a screw on flash sup.  The worry I have with this option is that I won't be able to sell my old barrel.  It is a crome lined 14.5 with about 2000 rounds down it.  Still shoots like it was bran new.  I'll have a lot eaiser time talking the wife into it if I could sell some of the "old" parts.  

Aimless - I'll check out "Bravo Co".  I plan on running an Aimpoint (or Eotech) on this so I figured that the flip down sights would be a plus.  Why would fixed work better for defensive?  In order to be sure to have the front when you need it?

persimmonpete - Any idea where a good place to buy an assembled upper is?  Bushmaster sells the exact upper I want, but they want an arm and a leg from them so a reseller is the only way to go...

Thanks for you help guys!  Any more suggestions?

Chris
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You can part out your current rifle. Sell parts on EE. Parts not needed are Buttstock assembly, Pistol grip, barrel, hand guards, front sight. Delta ring set, barrel nut.  The going price for the Buttstock is about 40.00, pistol grip 7-12.00, Barrel assembly complete 150- 175.00.  All the parts to creat the style you want can be purchased From BM for 782.85 with Fluted barrel;732.85 with out. You can also get close copies of the same parts from Deltron for 553.55. Check part numbers ST1000, ST1018, BS1027, GP1003, HG1027, HG1030, BL1012 The wilson barrel isn't fluted but if you need it done you can have it done for less than the cost difference. This is an option only if you want to actually put the parts together yourself.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top