Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:59:26 PM EDT
My main question is how to take off the lower section and is there a certain diameter of screwdriver that I need to use to loosen the screws (upper) so I wont wreck them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]
just get a big screwdriver where the blade catches both ends of the notch for the lower cover just use what ever and turn them till it springs out and slide it out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
May be of some use to ya....: www.armsmounts.com/sirSystem.html

Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Mike

I dont see how the sling swivel is a screwdriver.

So I just turn the screws on the lower and it slides straight out?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

I dont see how the sling swivel is a screwdriver.

So I just turn the screws on the lower and it slides straight out?

I don't have mine in front of me now, but if memory serves me right, all 4 screws are spring loaded. Just twist the screws until it pops up. Do not press down on the screws. Just turn them.

The rear screws are actually "locks" that only need to be turned the opposite direction to open. Look closely at where the rear screws are. There are actually pictures of a "lock" and "unlock".

The front screws need to be "unscrewed". They are not the half-turn type "locks". Just go ahead and turn the screws until they pop up.

Once all 4 screws are "up", slide the bottom of the HG forward. Make sure it does not snag on the front swivel of your FSB - if you have one. ALSO, sometimes the side rails of the HG have a tendency to snag. So just wiggle the same to free it. The lower and the upper parts of the HG are "joined" by half moon notches - so slide the lower out until the upper clears the half-moon nothes, and pull the lower half down.

Hope that helps.

EDITED: Got mixed up. I think it's the rear screws that are the "lock" and "unlock" type.
EDITED TO ADD: I think Wilson was pointing you to the ARMS site so you'd have an idea how the two halves are joined. NOT to suggest that the swivel there can be used as a screw driver.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My main question is how to take off the lower section and is there a certain diameter of screwdriver that I need to use to loosen the screws (upper) so I wont wreck them.

Thanks

Sometimes, I just use my nails.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks eye_spy...I just wasnt sure if the front screws held the lower in place or not.  I just need to find a fat enough screwdriver to remove them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks eye_spy...I just wasnt sure if the front screws held the lower in place or not.  I just need to find a fat enough screwdriver to remove them.

A coin works too!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I got all the screws off except one of the screws on the cross bar rail attached to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I let CLP soak in the last screw for a few hours.  The retard who installed it, put red and blue loctite on it.
Its all good now, but the 2 screws that hold crossbar is pretty chewed up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top