Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 9:53:36 AM EDT
What do you have to do , to convert a lefty bolt to a righty? I'm thinking, take the bolt out of the carrier, and flip it over. Is it that simple? I have never taken apart a bcg, that part of building is somthing I still need to learn. Thanks,  Treeman
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the bolt will not fit into the carrier backwards, at least in my experiences.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never taken one apart, but the only difference I can see is, the ejector is on the other side of the bolt face, if it were rotated 180 deg, it would be on the right side. I may just swap it with someone, I have a high rise lefty upper to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
the cam pin will only enter from one side. It's a no go I'm afraid
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn it! well its off to the ee then, Thanks for the help, I appreciate it,......Treeman ETA, do lefty bolts and uppers go for the same price, or are they a little more, since they aren't as common?  What would be a fair price for a high rise upper, with no dust cover, and lefty bolt as a package deal? in 98%, no scratches, and looks to have little wear.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Lefty bolts only work in lefty uppers. Same with righty BCGs and righty uppers. The BCG in my Stag even says "Left handed". The BCG is a mirror image, not rotated 180*.

Lefty uppers are a bit more $ but shouldn't break the bank. When I was shopping for complete lefty uppers, They were about $50-60 more than a similar spec'd righty.

If you are barrel shopping, make sure you get a ambi-dextrous barrel extension to use the barrel in a lefty upper.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a complete lefty high rise upper, with bcg, My plan was to keep the bolt if it could be changed, and take the bbl off, and sell the upper.  Now I'm either going to keep the whole setup, just to have one, or take the bbl off, and put it on a right upper. How would I know if it's an ambi bbl ext? I have never heard of that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Stag has one. I went to Stag's online store to look for a pic but it seems to be closed right now.

Store page wouldn't load.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks, I will check them tomorrow.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top