Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 3:26:33 PM EDT
Is it difficult to remove a permenant muzzle break off of the barrel?
In particular, I have a Bushmaster  w/ the AK 74 style muzzle break-to get the legal 16" minimum.
I'm toying w/ the idea of removing the break and permenantly attaching a flash suppressor.
I figure that refinishing the barrel would also be necessary.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it difficult to remove a permenant muzzle break off of the barrel?
No, cut it off, just don't damage the threads - this is a 5.5" from a Bushmaster barrel :

In particular, I have a Bushmaster  w/ the AK 74 style muzzle break-to get the legal 16" minimum.
Uh, yes, unless you have a registered SBR

I figure that refinishing the barrel would also be necessary.
Optional

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
why not send it to ADCO not that much to make sure that its done right without fear of damaging the barrel
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
This is something that is asked a lot and usually gets people into a costly bit of trouble.  

You need to know exactly how the brake is attached before you begin and sometimes this is not readily apparent.  It could be welded, blind pinned or silver soldered or some combination of these methods.  Welding or silver solder will give you trouble. Even done "cleanly" the barrel will be damaged.  At best, very best, you will need to chase the threads.

IMHO, it's always better to sell the unwanted barrel with the brake untouched.  There's always someone out there that wants it.  Then buy a new barrel.  Barrels are not very expensive, not much more than having the brake removed professionally and you have a brand new barrel, not the same used barrel you started with.  Why pour repair money into a used barrel?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your help guys.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top