Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:01:15 PM EDT
The other night I took my collapsible stock off, and when I put it back together, I didn't thread the stock in far enough to hold the buffer retainer and spring in, OOPS.  Long story short It came out after I had reassembled the upper and lower, and when I took it back apart the bottom 1/16" of the spring is slighty tweaked.  I put it back together correctly and it seems to be ok, i.e. no binding etc, but is this safe, or should I go ahead and replace it?  If I need to replace it, any suggestions on where to get one?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
you realy don't even need one ( it can shoot just fine with out it )

if it is doing its job, it should be fine, but if it helps you feel better at night replace it

shipping on a 0.20 part may be more than you want to spend

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Without replacement parts for your rifle, the loss of a 30 cent part can turn a $900 rifle into a club in a heartbeat.

If you don't have any replacement parts, suggest ya get some.

Mike

ps - as to where to get Emergency Repair kits, spare springs, pins and etc.. well there's the EE the Industry forum and any one of dozens of AR15 manufacturers to choose from.

IMO a complete upper and lower parts kits including replacement bolt should already be in your BOB....., YMMV
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you realy don't even need one ( it can shoot just fine with out it )

if it is doing its job, it should be fine, but if it helps you feel better at night replace it

shipping on a 0.20 part may be more than you want to spend

Invisiblesoul

How does it not need one??

As far as the slightly bent spring, I wouldn't worry as long as there is enough pressure pushing the plunger up to the buffer tube.  I would probably get it replaced the next time I was buying some parts tho.

You can assemble and shoot the AR with full reliability with out the buffer stop pin in place. Of coures, the buffer and spring will shoot out when you separate the upper and lower halves, but that has no bearing on reliability. That being said, having the pin in place keeps the buffer and spring where it belongs (and not on the floor or in your eye) when cleaning or stripping.

My pistol AR runs fine with out even having the hole for the buffer stop machined in....

efxguy
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice guys, Ithink I'll leave it in for now and just order some replacement parts to fix it next time.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top