Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:57:17 PM EDT
First I want to tell you that this site is GREAT. It has so much info, that it can get overwhelming. This leads me to my problem. I am new to the AR15 crowd and I am in the planning stages of my first build. I have decided on the following parts, but need help with picking out a complete upper as far as a manufacture. Are there any markings on an upper? I thought it might look funny with two different manufactures between the upper and lower. It also needs to be A3 with removable handle a 16" barrel with a flash hidder.

RRA Stripped Lower
RRA Lower Parts Kit
6 position Tactical Stock
???Complete Upper Assy.

Am I missing or overlooked anything?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I'll bite.  If you are buying an RRA lower, and RRA parts kit, why not just go with an RRA upper?  Unless you are looking into something very special, pick one that looks nice, and go from there.  There isn't any secret science to this.  Start simple, and when you have used it, and decided if you need anything else, then build up from there.  

Brian
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for going with the RRA check these out ADCO

this is my RRA 16" middy with a DD 9.0 FF rail
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok, I'll bite.  If you are buying an RRA lower, and RRA parts kit, why not just go with an RRA upper?  Unless you are looking into something very special, pick one that looks nice, and go from there.  There isn't any secret science to this.  Start simple, and when you have used it, and decided if you need anything else, then build up from there.  

Brian

I am seriously thinking about a RRA upper. But with so many different manufactures and prices, I thought someone would have another idea. So, is there any markings on the upper if I go with different manufacture?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
For fit finish and $$$ your on the right track by going with RRA
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
+1.  Likewise for CMT & WOA upper receiver assemblies.   I've built a rifle and carbine with CMT uppers and RRA lowers.  Fit & finish is excellent with RRA lowers.  RRA uppers really fit tight with RRA lowers.  The new RRA FT upper receivers have the T-Marks with the letters "RRA" laser etched forward of the T-12 postion on the rail.  CMT and WOA only have the T-Marks.  Either way you won't be disappointed.

If your not buying a complete upper, be careful when choosing the upper receiver assembly.  Some are made w/ or w/o ramp cuts for barrels w/ feed ramps.  I don't think that RRA has made uppers that come w/ factory feed cuts yet.

I haven't tried it myself but from what I've read, you wouldn't want to wind up with a receiver w/ the cuts and have a barrel without the ext. ramps.  Instant FTF.  You can however install a receiver w/o the cuts and barrel with the ext. ramps.

Good luck, happy building and hope this doesn't confuse you.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top