Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:35:59 AM EDT
Hello.

I read the post on the subject in the tagged DIY thread above.
My question is: is there a reason why I could not just take an angle grinder to the block while it's still on the barrel?
Seems like with any bad luck it can be a real biatch to get off the barrel. So why take it off at all?

(If someone has an extra YHM low profile gas block or similar product and wants to thwart my questionable plan, please feel free to e-mail or IM )
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about grinding off the top part of a standard front sight base, I see no reason why you couldn't chop it off while it's still attached to the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
When I ground away "everything that did not look like a gas block" from my Bushmaster FSB, it would have been much easier attached to the barrel.  Holding it in a gloved hand while running it against a belt sander was quite an experience.  Use a hacksaw to remove everything above the gas tube section, then grind away!

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking about doing the same.

I would also like to piggy-back a question on your thread if you don't mind.
Can I just cut off the handguard cap without removing the FSB?

I am going to put a rifle length FF tube/rail on over my chopped FSB and need to figure out what to do with that hanguard cap.  It would be great if I could take care of it without having to take the block off.

Thanks,
James
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am thinking about doing the same.

I would also like to piggy-back a question on your thread if you don't mind.
Can I just cut off the handguard cap without removing the FSB?

I am going to put a rifle length FF tube/rail on over my chopped FSB and need to figure out what to do with that hanguard cap.  It would be great if I could take care of it without having to take the block off.

Thanks,
James

you could cut off the handguard cap, but what about the barrel nut?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
with the FSB chopped down the barrel nut should slide right over the top of the block and off the barrel

Jason
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking at a Troy or maybe Midwest Industries forearm, so I wouldn't have to take the nut off anyway.

I don't know, if I try cutting the cap, wouldn't I be getting into the FSB since they are right up against each other?

Anyone with first-hand experience?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
with the FSB chopped down the barrel nut should slide right over the top of the block and off the barrel

Jason

i have yet to see a barrel nut big enough to pass over any of the low profile gas blocks, if they could they wouldnt hold the bbl. too well.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am looking at a Troy or maybe Midwest Industries forearm, so I wouldn't have to take the nut off anyway.

I don't know, if I try cutting the cap, wouldn't I be getting into the FSB since they are right up against each other?

Anyone with first-hand experience?

you dont need to cut off the handguard cap but what you do need to remove is the delta ring which can be cut off. the delta ring is the rear ring that holds the handguards in place and tensioned with spring rings which need to be cut off as well.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome.  I was wondering if there would be clearance for the cap.  I am with you on the delta ring.
I just don't have the parts yet to measure/check these things.

I will be swapping the upper too, I just didn't want to drive the FSB pins out if I didn't have to.

Thanks to all!

James
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Depending on the FF tube you use, Most  require the barrel nut to be replaced, even if you cut the end cap off the barrel nut off the delta ring off the weld spring off. you still need to put the new barrel nut ON .... you will need to remove the FSB.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
a ff tube and a 2 piece rail are two different situations.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a set of Midwest Industries MI-20 Free-Float Forearms, and I think that I can leave the Handguard cap alone and sill mount it.  This unit clamps directly to the standard Barrel Nut.  I will know after I get some barrel work done.  I was able piece it together (loosely), and I was able to leave the handguard cap in place.

Chief
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Fantastic.  That is exactly the piece of info that I was looking for, Chief.

Sorry for the Hijack, somefinn, but I hope maybe this was some good info for someone else.

James
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sorry for the Hijack, somefinn, but I hope maybe this was some good info for someone else.

No prob. Seems like I'll be using a YHM low profile gas block anyway so the whole question is kind of moot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top