Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:04:38 PM EDT
Bought a parts kit from a dealer here that says DPMS makes the LPK for this particular company... Well all I can say is that it is total crap. Trigger pins were out of spec, they wouldn't even fit in the trigger pin holes (lucky for me I had some RRA pins) the hammer and trigger suck and the take down pins are way to tight...

Point is... stick with Stag LPKs or RRA LPKs...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 for Stag LPK
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
i've installed 5 DPMS LPK's in different brands of lowers (mega,stag,lauer) and have had 0 issues, every thing fit perfect and functioned flawlessly.

i dont work for dpms or really give a crap about em, but their LPK's have served myself and buddies well.

I've also installed CMT/stag lpk's and they were nice but on every kit i installed the detents were toooo stiff meaning that at first it required a tool to move the pivot pin, rear pin and the selector. It wasnt anything that moving the parts back and fourth a few times to break in the detents didnt fix, But still never had that happen with dpms.

tastes great / less filling!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have three builds under my belt using RRA lowers and DPMS LPKs.  Zero problems.  I guess I'm really lucky . . .
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
so you bought a kit from a dealer that claims to use dpms lpk's?

sounds like it should be in the feedback area or discussed with the dealer personally. i for one would like to know which dealer it came from to avoid being lied to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so you bought a kit from a dealer that claims to use dpms lpk's?

sounds like it should be in the feedback area or discussed with the dealer personally. i for one would like to know which dealer it came from to avoid being lied to.

+1.  I've had several LPKs misrepresented to me, but usually not here!  Every genuine DPMS LPK I've gotten has been 100%.

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#6]
probably what they meant was it came from the same origin
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]
So, you just posted here that DPMS LPKs are "total crap" based on what your anonymous dealer said, without even calling DPMS to verify that the LPKs were, in fact from them?  Here is the DPMS phone number:  (800) 578-3767.  After you call them get back to us here & give us the straight scoop.

In the future, bring your ethics & common sense with you when you post.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have used their LPKs several times. Never a problem.  I'd guess your lower may be off a bit or your dealer told you a fib.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used their LPKs for 4 builds and all have been perfect drop in parts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never had a problem with a DPMS LPK
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bought a parts kit from a dealer here that says DPMS makes the LPK for this particular company... Well all I can say is that it is total crap. Trigger pins were out of spec, they wouldn't even fit in the trigger pin holes (lucky for me I had some RRA pins) the hammer and trigger suck and the take down pins are way to tight...

Are you sure you don't have pins for a large hole Colt?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Not to steal any thunder from the DPMS folks...there are some real clowns that package stuff in a bag, put a phony label that says "DPMS LPK" and sell it as such.

The key here is always, but always buy from a dealer you know and trust. No problems here with DPMS stuff etither.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I've used the DPMS lpk..

Works just as good as everything else does.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 DPMS hammer & trigger pins are to spec. They are the same pins that we use in our rifles and the same pins that we sell as replacement parts to our customers.
 If the kit was not in a plastic case that said "DPMS Lower Parts Kit" it could be anyones guess on who made the parts. No matter what the dealer says.

well I was told it was DPMS.

I would probably hesitate to buy anything DPMS in the future. Please don't take offense.. I was a little pissed that the brand new lower I bought got dinged up when trying to fit those pins into the lower.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, at the very least was it packaged as DPMS said it should be? If it wasn't I wouldn't rag on DPMS (or for that matter shy away from them in the future) and instead be making a phone call to the dealer who sold you the parts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, at the very least was it packaged as DPMS said it should be? If it wasn't I wouldn't rag on DPMS (or for that matter shy away from them in the future) and instead be making a phone call to the dealer who sold you the parts.

The dealer said DPMS made the parts kit for them [the dealer] exclusivley.

Now if DPMS doesn't do this for said dealer then I will retract my statement otherwise I will stand by my statement regarding DPMS LPKs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I've bought numerous LRPK directly from DPMS at different times.  They all came in clear plastic containers approx. 12" x 4" in size.  And had DPMS marked paperwork inside.  Every one of them fit to specs in the various recievers I've installed them in.  I would say if yours did not come in a package like that, it was not DPMS.

I've bought other LRPK's from other manufacturers.  Most usually come in a small plastic bag.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
what did the hammer look like?

did it have the notch cut?

DMPS does not cut their hammers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 DPMS hammer & trigger pins are to spec.

That is my experience as well. I would call DPMS directly and offer to send the "DPMS LPK" to them so that they could inspect it. That way you will know for sure what it is.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
 DPMS hammer & trigger pins are to spec. They are the same pins that we use in our rifles and the same pins that we sell as replacement parts to our customers.
 If the kit was not in a plastic case that said "DPMS Lower Parts Kit" it could be anyones guess on who made the parts. No matter what the dealer says.

So how about the kits from Midway USA and Brownells? No plastic case. Are they not DPMS parts?
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=877204
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5606&title=AR-15+PARTS+KITS

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how about the kits from Midway USA and Brownells? No plastic case. Are they not DPMS parts?
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5606&title=AR-15+PARTS+KITS

How are they supposed to show all the parts if they are enclosed in the packaging???

eta  I've used DPMS lpks in 5 builds, all worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Two builds with DPMS, not one problem. I had doubts one was authentic because it came in an unmarked plastic bag. It did have the dpms trigger and hammer but I'll never be sure about the rest. Next time I'll order direct from dpms to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How are they supposed to show all the parts if they are enclosed in the packaging???

eta  I've used DPMS lpks in 5 builds, all worked perfectly.

I have ordered both and they do not come in a plastic DPMS marked case. I actually like their lower kits. I believe they are the best deal for the money and work fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought several DPMS LPKs from Sportsmans guide, they all came in a "clam shell" type plastic pack, with the DPMS card bourd backing with all the description and all.

All worked fine.

There are a LOT of crooks in the weapons trade.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Big +1 for RRa LPK's
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#28]
post pictures of the hammer along with the rest of the lpk
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I bought a DPMS LPK from Brownells and it worked fine if not better than the RRA LPK I have in the other build. The DPMS hammer doesn't have the notch but the bolt carrier functions just fine. Trigger pins were in spec, the hammer/trigger work fine, and the take down pins were in spec as well. If anything, the easiest/smoothest part of my recent M4 build had to be buying the DPMS LPK from Brownells.

In the past, the DPMS replacement parts I have bought from Brownells/Midway have generally been very good if not the same as the other parts (RRA, Bushmaster, Stag/CMT). DPMS uses aluminum trigger guards.

The RRA Hammer w/ the notch has shown some wear at the notch. The DPMS hammer appears to allow for smoother operation.

+1 for DPMS LPK and RRA LPK (get both!).
I'll continue to buy DPMS LPKs as long as they keep the current price. Once they start to match up with Stag/RRA/Bushmaster, I may just find one that's priced lower.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#30]
plastic case?!?!

i bought all of my dpms LPK's direct from dpms and they all came in a bag with a sticker on it. From brownells they come packed in a clamshell package.

I'm short 5 plastic cases DPMS now pony up!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Well sounds like EVERYONE responding here has had no problem with their DPMS lower parts kit except for yours that your dealer states came from DPMS.

Who you gonna trust?  A dozen or so real-world experiences, or someone who's trying to make a buck off  of you?

Don't believe EVERYTHING all dealers tell you.   There are those that are honest and know their sh!t... and others that can't tell their a$$ from a hole in the ground.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well sounds like EVERYONE responding here has had no problem with their DPMS lower parts kit except for yours that your dealer states came from DPMS.

Who you gonna trust?  A dozen or so real-world experiences, or someone who's trying to make a buck off  of you?

Don't believe EVERYTHING all dealers tell you.   There are those that are honest and know their sh!t... and others that can't tell their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

+1 I got my DPMS LPK from Brownells and it came in a DPMS plastic clamshell case, sort of like when buying a cleaning kit from Walmart. The clamshell splits the pistol grip, hammer, trigger, and then has all the other parts in one little bag. My guess is that this was done to avoid damaging the sear surfaces.
There is a DPMS insert that shows all the different parts in the LPK that comes with the clamshell case as well.

Some reputable dealers may just dump the contents into a bag to save on shipping costs, since you would need a fairly large box or envelope to fit the entire clamshell.

The #1 thing to check to see if its DPMS or not is to see if the hammer has a "notch" at the tip or if its completely solid/smooth. AFAIK DPMS's small pin (0.154") hammer is always smooth/solid. Their large pin (Colt) hammers have the notch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd like to know where I can get the LPK in the fancy box! All mine came in baggies as well... lol
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Every one I got from Brownells came in a plastic bag. Never a pretty package. Hope they did not go up in price for the packaging
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I just finished my 4th lower build with kits from Tactical Solutions....their website says DPMS ...but they came in a plain plastic bag.......still no problems....all parts fitted perfectly....and no notched hammer....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Just put one together from Midway.  Did come in the plastic clamshell packaging like the one in the picture.  worked perfectly, why is everyone so anxious to bash dpms lately, especially if you're not even sure it was dpms parts?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

i picked up three LPK's represented as DPMS kits.  all came in bags.  the safety selector and pin in one kit were soft and failed before the rifle had ten boxes of shells through it...  i question now whether i actually got genuine DPMS parts.  regardless, the above is a pretty broad statement.  

doesn't DPMS sell the LPK components in bulk to dealers?  if so, do they include cute boxes as well?  not knocking DPMS, but if they make this statement, maybe they should ask the dealers to respect the packaging to avoid misrepresentations.  

i know it is only an inexpensive LPK, but as a consumer with so many choices, it is very easy to say "to hell with it" and move on to another brand like Bushy, or someone else.  there seems to be quite a bit of DPMS bashing on here, but come on...  do yourself a favor when you can DPMS!

-septic tank
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I got 3 LPK's from Brownells and they came in the "GI Joe" packaging (looks like what the GI Joe action figures came in when I was a kid ).  Put one together today and the only problem I had was a tight fit on the trigger guard pin. Everything else was fine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#40]
buying the lpk is expensive, i found it cheaper ordering seperately.  the springs from midway and the pins from dpms.  or maybe the other way around, but you get the idea.  check it out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Built my first two lowers today using two DPMS lowers and parts kits.  Everything went together perfectly, so far I'm very happy with the quality of product.  I used this forum and a colt lower that I already owned as a guide.  After finishing, I couldn't see any diffence in quality between the colt and the DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#42]
FWIW I am looking forward to acquiring a DPMS AR and a DPMS based .308
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The dealer said DPMS made the parts kit for them [the dealer] exclusivley.

Now if DPMS doesn't do this for said dealer then I will retract my statement otherwise I will stand by my statement regarding DPMS LPKs.

Ok first problem with your post

Title should have been to find out if you had been screwed by the dealer by inquiring about other members/users experiences with DPMS LPKS

Not to just come out and slander them entirely.

Second, [the dealer] as you put it, is responsible for ensuring that it is infact a DPMS LPK. If not than he sold you bogus goods and this should go to feedback.

Im sure DPMS would have no problem looking into this on their part as a Dealer here on the board could be selling a product under their name of questionable origins.

Your problem is not with DPMS unless it is a fluke bad run, in which case Im sure they will make things right on their end. If it is because the Dealer Lied than he owes you big for the damage incurred by selling you sub standard parts under false pretenses. He also has some talking to do with DPMS for this one as well as there would be a copyright and trademark infringement.

You on the other hand should know by now that you dont just force stuff into your lower because it should work. Common sense goes a long way.

Hmm . . . . . Small circular hole . . . . .  Large cylindrical pin . . . . . . . Better get the hammer?

What were you thinking??

Why are you so anxious to attack and slander DPMS but you wont even list the DEALER's name???
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't understand why so many people bash dpms.  I have an armalite and a dpms lower and both are pretty equal on quality.  My dpms 20 inch has excellent fit and finish, and has functioned flawlessly.  The lpk works great.  Go DPMS!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I don't understand why so many people bash dpms.

+1

I'm very very picky about my guns and thus have found minor "problems" with most every gun I've ever owned. The "problems" that I have had w/my DPMS parts have not affected function in any way and most gun owners probably wouldn't even notice them. None the less, DPMS responded quickly and did everything in their power to make me happy. That's all that ask for. Every manufacturer is going to put out a product with a "problem" or two, what matters is how they take care of you when this happens. For me, DPMS customer service has ranked right up there with the best of them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I've contacted DPMS regarding 1 "problem" with their part, the detachable carry handle. Using the IBZ, the sight does not turn higher than "5". W/o the IBZ, it still doesn't reach 6/3. They still have not replied yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Seven builds using DPMS (known to be DPMS, not just someone's say so) and absolutely zero problems.  Sounds like your beef is with a dealer misrepresenting parts, not DPMS.  Buy them from someone reputable like Brownells and I bet you too will have no problems with genuine DPMS parts.

Sort of like the Mini-Cooper commercial warning buyers to beware of only getting genuine MC cars, not look-a-likes.  Link
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top