Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:54:40 AM EDT
Crossroads gunshow comin' thru Denver this weekend.  I am buildin' a AR lower (my 1st) I have bought the tools, Lower reciever, and stock assembly.  Only thing left is complete Lower Parts Kit.  If anyone out there can answer this ;   Do you think there will be a vendor w/ complete parts kits or vendors w/ parts here and there ?  Also will these parts be less than what I can find normally or will the usual "flea-market" bartering be the norm ?  I also will be on the lookout for a complete bolt assembly, should I expect to find these items there ?  I have been to a couple of gunshows before but that was before I "needed" anything at one.  If anyone can answer these simple questions I'd appreciate it.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
i went to a gun show in december and i saw a vendor with LPKs, bolt carrier groups, uppers, and basicaly everything but stripped lowers. i didnt have the black rifle disorder then so i didnt realy check prices but you'll probably find what you need there. I dont know if'd try and bargain too much most of the stuff ive bought at gun shows has already been considerably cheaper than at a retail store.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've just about given up on Crossraods gun shows.  I went to one in SLC last month and there were so many crafts and china and cooking things that my wife had more fun than I did.  

This time around there were a number of dealers selling guns, but very few with the variety of parts that I usually go to the shows for.  In fact, I was looking for an oversided safety for my Rem 870; an adjustable v block, magnum crarging handle and extended mag release for my Ruger 10/22 and a forward grip w/ flashlight mount for my AR.  Didn't see any of them... pretty strange.

I think from now on I'll spend the $8.00 in gas and drive to Ogden to a couple of dealers that actually carry that kind of stuff regularly.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I quit going to gunshows looking for quality products.  Do yourself a favor and save your money and time and buy a LPK from a reputiable vender off of here, that way you know for a fact what your getting.  I learned from a "DPMS" upper that I bought before I found this board and knew to look for barrel markings.  Luckily it shoots great but I have no idea what it is.

Ive heard bad horror stories of vendors buying Colt rifles and pulling the LPKs and bolts out and replacing the parts with Model 1 sales parts then selling the rifle for full Colt price and selling the bolt and LPKs for full colt price.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I started my first build last year around October.  Got the lower at a local shop (Doublestar, $89), and then went to a local gunshow in Lexington..got a LPK (PantherArms/DPMS, $40) and a generic m4 stock ($30).  Pretty happy with them both.  

Got another show this weekend in Lex...time to go find my complete upper (keeping fingers crossed).

...just my experience...-Jbot
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top