Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 3:49:59 PM EDT
I jus built my AR with parts some used,  some new. The Upper was sprayed with Norrells and they oversprayed inside near the injection port. I was able to scrap this excess out and the bolt ran smoother. It got me thinking, other than high dollar JP stainless or billet carriers, does anyone do anything to smoothen up the operation of the carrier inside the upper? I realize that SHOOTING it over time will do this, but honestly, I only put about 60-100rds per range session once or twice a month. Id like to SMOOTHEN it up some now. I thought about maybe micro polishing the inside where the carrier rubs, but b4 I monkey with it, I wanted to get some ideas.

I think im getting beyond the typical build it and shoot class, im moving onto fine tuning and monkeying with my firearms more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
why accelerate wear?

i oversprayed with norells and just left it with not a single problem
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
why accelerate wear?

i oversprayed with norells and just left it with not a single problem

At first the bolt was extremely tight goin in and out, you either need pliers or had to use the Charging handle, you couldnt pull it out or it wouldnt fall out like some ive seen. Plus the bolt and gas rings were new, so the lock up was tight.

I dunno, jus wondered about this. Ever since I removed the over spray its better, but ive got my camo AR with thousands of rounds thru it and its super smooth and the colt 16" upper on my wifeys gun is smooth as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
the gas rings should be tight

the carrier might be becuase you crushed the upper reicever, try the carrier in another upper and see. i had the same problem with a young match carrier due to its tighter tolerances but soon found that the hinge on my action block fell off and allowed the mag block to crush my upper.

checked the carrier with other uppers from the same batch in which i bough them and they all worked great. checked the crushed upper with a std. carrier and the same thing happened.

just something to think about before dedicating the carrier to that one upper
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the gas rings should be tight

the carrier might be becuase you crushed the upper reicever, try the carrier in another upper and see. i had the same problem with a young match carrier due to its tighter tolerances but soon found that the hinge on my action block fell off and allowed the mag block to crush my upper.

checked the carrier with other uppers from the same batch in which i bough them and they all worked great. checked the crushed upper with a std. carrier and the same thing happened.

just something to think about before dedicating the carrier to that one upper

yeah. Im actually waiting on another bolt carrier to be shipped to me, this carrier was my spare. so once i get the other one ill see. ive tested other carriers in this upper and they were basically the same, kinda tight. Alot of the tightness was do to overspray getting inside.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
dont think the norells is going to cause that much trouble i refinished an upper myself and actually sprayed the inside on the upper and its smooth as butter
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Let nature take it's course, it will polish itself in time...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, im jus goin to leave it be and shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
CB1, I'd be thinking of a new gas tube 'bout now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
CB1, I'd be thinking of a new gas tube 'bout now.

soon... it still passes the short stroke test.
I'll change that and the rings soon. 18k through that baby.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Check to see if your extractor is binding on the bolt carrier (is the tail end of the extractor polished up?).
I decided to "break in" my new build prior to going to the range, and I wanted to install a PRI latch so I removed the stock CH latch. I would just cycle the rifle manually about 30-40 times. The latch removal was done to prevent wear on the upper receiver. In the field, firing your rifle does not have a big effect on wearing the upper receiver since you only typically pull the CH once to chamber the first round at the range. The bolt catch is then used for stripping first cartridges.

I would smell burnt aluminum? when wearing away the black finish on the Upper and charging handle (to smooth it out). Now it's almost as smooth as my other AR w/ ~1000 rd through it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
What about cermaic coating the inside of the upper sounds cool, maybe it would work but just an idea.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What about cermaic coating the inside of the upper sounds cool, maybe it would work but just an idea.

It would build up too much. Youd have some real issues IMO>
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top