Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 11:09:06 AM EDT
I want a build it yourself kit but Im new to ARs and I just want a plinker. Ive searched and searched but cant come up with everything I need to know because...I need to know alot of stupid questions. Money is an option and I want to spend as little as I can. I guess Id want a mid length or CAR. I kind of want a flat top but I dont want to spend the hundreds of dollars for a red dot. So would I need flip up sights? Other than that I think I would want an ACE stock but I can do that later. Money is a pretty big thing at the moment and this is just going to be a plinker. Thanks in advance. BTW, I couldnt put together anything really TOO complicated. I dont know how hard these are to put together.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at delton www.del-ton.com

Their rifle kits are really reasonable. I own one myself and I am very happy with the fit and finish of it on my stag lower.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Money is a big thing for me right now too so I know how you feel.  If you don't mind my asking, about how much are you talking though?  I am putting together a RRA 16" for just under $700.  I got my stripped lower locally for under $130 total, and the rest I am ordering from Pete at Legal Transfers for $564.  That includes the lower parts kit, 6 position buttstock and a complete upper, all from RRA.  I am also adding an ARMS 40 that brings the total just just under $800.  From all of the kits I looked at, I was only saving a couple of bucks, so I went for RRA for just a couple(under25) dollars more.  Good luck with your build.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You can peice together a nice AR for around 500bux or less if you really take the time and look around. I built my latest creation with parts from the EE and my local shop. This also included a mix of new parts and used parts. The only used parts were the A2 upper and the Bushmaster barrel. The rest was all new. It cost me $543 cuz I added hogue grip and magpul trigger guard. It has Bushmaster 14.5 barrel and will shoot jus as nice an accurate as factory built rifle. If you dont need anything fancy like rails or any specific brand names, jus do some searching. Ive pieced together ARs cheaper than the so called KITs. YMMV, my .02
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My opinion for a plinker is to buy used on the EE.

The upper being the most expensive is your target. Then you can find an A2 stock w/buffer etc. For around $40 for a one with marks on it and such. LPKs too.

Then just get a lower shipped to an FFL, about $110 + 25-35 for transfer depending on how good of a friend you are.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I would look in the EE find a used upper or used gun. Or see what you can find over time. If your not in a rush you get a little bit as your budget will allow. There are guys on this forum that have posted they built ARs for 3-400 going the el-cheapo route.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Money is a big thing for me right now too so I know how you feel.  If you don't mind my asking, about how much are you talking though?  I am putting together a RRA 16" for just under $700.  I got my stripped lower locally for under $130 total, and the rest I am ordering from Pete at Legal Transfers for $564.  That includes the lower parts kit, 6 position buttstock and a complete upper, all from RRA.  I am also adding an ARMS 40 that brings the total just just under $800.  From all of the kits I looked at, I was only saving a couple of bucks, so I went for RRA for just a couple(under25) dollars more.  Good luck with your build.  

I dont. Im looking to spend, at the most, around $500. I know it sounds challenging but the two companies given to me above seem around there. Thanks for your info!

Quoted:
Look at delton www.del-ton.com

Their rifle kits are really reasonable. I own one myself and I am very happy with the fit and finish of it on my stag lower.....

Wow they are. I could get one in my price range pretty much exactly how I want. Glad to hear they work well. Hows reliability?

Quoted:
Look at a kit from J&T. The upper comes all put together, you put the parts into the lower reciever, which you buy separately. I would guess that for an additional charge you could get a Ace stock from J&T. The lowers are fairly simple to assemble, anyone basically able to follow directions with a minimal amount of mechanical skills can do it.

Personally I would not bother with red dot sight now. The good ones cost more than is in your budget at the moment. Get the AR and practice with the iron sights. I would look at a LaRue or LMT rear sight and just not bother getting a carry handle from J&T at all, it should cost about the same either way.

Thanks. It appears their site is under construction. Ill have to check back later. I am a car tech in training so following directions is important in my trade

Ok thanks. Agreed, they are insane. They just dont look $300+. I see from del-ton they sell detachable handles for $65. Would they fit a J&T?

Thanks heavytank and bob. But what is the EE?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The del-ton seems to be high enough quality. I have bought plenty of parts from them in the past with no trouble. I can see no reason this upper will not work 100%. I hope to take it shooting next weekend.

Josh
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks heavytank and bob. But what is the EE?

Equipment Exchange: Upper Right-Hand Tab.
www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=7

Buying used stuff from other board members, check the feed-back forum before sending in the money though to check up on the guy. Remember to get item specifics like FSB height, chromed barrel or not, and feed ramps, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The del-ton seems to be high enough quality. I have bought plenty of parts from them in the past with no trouble. I can see no reason this upper will not work 100%. I hope to take it shooting next weekend.

Josh

great! I like the looks of them

Quoted:

Equipment Exchange: Upper Right-Hand Tab.
www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=7

Buying used stuff from other board members, check the feed-back forum before sending in the money though to check up on the guy. Remember to get item specifics like FSB height, chromed barrel or not, and feed ramps, etc.

Ok thank you!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top