Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:53:52 AM EDT
I was thinking of building an AR15 via RRA parts and was wondering what y'all thought would make for the best barrel lenght. I'd be going with the Varminter setup, so a stainless bull barrl 1:8 twist. Should I go for 20 or the 24" barrel? I'd be using it at all ranges from 50 out to 5 or 600 hundred yards, depending on where I'd be at on that given day. Thanks.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i replied to your post on SH, my handle on there is Redneckbmxer24

cory
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#2]
20" will do what you want, barrel length does not determin accuracy, just velocity and there is no significant loss of velocity from a 20" verses a 24". Also, just an Hbar would too and would cut down the weight of the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
might want a 1:9 or a 1:12 for varmint work if you are going to use 40gr varmint bullets
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
if you run around shooting coyotes and are known to point it out the window of the pickup truck from time to time, then do yourself and favor and run a 20".

if you're shooting from a bipod and/or bags solely, then buy a 24" or longer.  why would anyone want to cut the weight down?  the more weight, the less jump and if you start climbing over 15lbs the rifle will likely move so little you can watch bullet impact on your target.  what could be more fun that seeing the bullet impact???

i've got a 24" set up for pdogs with the A2 full of lead, etc.  one hell of a lot of fun...

i use a 1 in 9 twist and it works well with 40gr bt's to 69gr units.  very versatile.  1 in 8 or faster may be pushing it a little for smaller weights...

HTH.

septic tank
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
id use the 24" bull.  i like heavy bullets for long range so id get the 1/8", but like they said the 1/12" for the lightweights.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top