Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:53:03 AM EDT
 Ok, I have an RRA Upper and a Lower on it's way. I wanted to build a .243 AR-10. But, parts are to limited. So, after alot of research I have come up with a .243 wssm build on an AR-15 Platform. After all I will have extra recievers. So, If  I get a .243 wssm barrel from Noveske. Does anyone else sell a AR .243 wssm barrel?  Do some minor adjustment to a 20 round Magazine. What Bolt and Carrier group would I use?? Would a .223 work? Or, would I have to use a 6.8? I see oly sells these. And they say that thier stuff is "proprietary high pressure bolts, barrel extensions, bolt carriers, and modified upper receivers". Does anyone here know what is so special about them. Thank you for you input in advance.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW, I would have thought someone would know what BCG to use on here....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if you've seen Dtechs site or not.  He seems to be the go to guy for WSSM's

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/WSSM%20page.htm
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
 No I haven't yet... Thanks much...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The bolt is MASSIVE!  And your research is correct: the bolt/carrier, barrel extension and upper receiver are all dedicated to the WSSM.  The magazines are also modified: The mag-catch slot is raised to let the mag ride lower in the mag-well, giving clearence for the large bolt-head to clear the magazine.  The feed-lips are modified as well as the follower.

Feed and function has been excellent and accuracy, even with factory ammunition, has been great.  I am getting just under 3000 FPS out of a 120 grain factory load .25 WSSM out of a 22" barrel.  The 100 grain bullet out of the .243 WSSM is doing about the same velocity.  I am shooting 87 grain bullets out of my .243 for long range varmint/predator, at about 3400 fps.

As far as I know, Oly is not selling parts for the WSSM, only complete rifles or uppers.  I had a small part in helping Oly get the WSSM to market, and for that, they have given me access to the parts for custom builds.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
 Your very very lucky then.... I think this would be an awesome gun. Have you seen or shot any of the Oly's?? I personally would rather build one out of RRA Upper and Lower with a Krieger barrel. But, I am still hopeful and not discouraged yet... lol lol Thanks for the report on it. Makes me want one more than ever now.... lol lol
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't shot any of the factory Oly uppers but I have built well over 100 custom ones and own a .243 and a .25.  I have shot both of them a fair amount.  The .243 is a little fickle to load for but is capable of fine accuracy.  The .25 is much easier to load for and has proven to be just as accurate as it's little brother.

Just after I started building the .243 WSSM's (the .25 had yet to be released) I worked up a load with 87 grain Hornaday HPBT bullets and used the same load for the 85 grain Nosler Partition.  The 87's were leaving my 22" barrel at just under 3400 FPS, into consistent 1/2" groups with a standard deviation in the single digits!   The Nosler was grouped about .700" but for the big-game hunting I do, it was plenty good.  I took it out west hunting that fall.  I shot prairie dogs with a .223 upper until I had them "burned back" to about 400 yards.  20 seconds later I was hammering them with the .243 WSSM.  It was surprising how much energy that bullet still had at 400 yards!

I have killed a couple of nice white-tail with both the .243 and .25.  My guns weight just over 8.5 pounds so they are a little heavy for some, I need the exercise so I carry them anyway!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
 Sounds absolutely perfect... I am bound and determined to build a .243... Will a 6.8 bolt work on that? I have a .204 upper comming i had built by Randell Rausch. And have an extra Upper and Lower I need to do something with.  I see your in MN... Where abouts?? Close to Hudson or Richfield. Would love to see that .243 wssm once.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The upper receiver wouldn't do you any good for a WSSM build.  The upper, as well as the bolt/carrier and barrel extension is dedicated to the WSSM.

I am about 230 miles north of Minnapolis/St. Paul, about 90 miles from the Canadian border.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh.... a Ranger.. lol lol Ok, I guess I will just have to order one and make it better later than. Thanks for all your help... You don't build these for other people do you?? If not I will be calling up Oly soon I think. Damn... They always have you when it really something good. lol lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Not a "Ranger"  They are farther to the East.   At least 75 miles East and a little North.   We are in the heart of "lakes country", resorts, small towns, small farms, logging and panel-board.  We have two panel-board plants hear and that is the only real "industry".

I do build custom uppers for other people.  I don't advertise on this board so I won't do business on it.  I drop in once and a while and get pulled into a thread, it's addicting!

Stop by OA2.org.  I hang out over there quite a bit, you can PM me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top