Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 8:31:31 AM EDT
I'm looking at buying a complete upper to go with my RR lower.  I noticed that complete uppers with chrome lined barrels and chambers are listed as 5.56 NATO.  Haven't seen one stating for .223.  I always thought 5.56 and .223 were interchangeable.  ???????????? If I get one of those uppers will .223 operate in it OK?

Like I said, dumb question.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking at buying a complete upper to go with my RR lower.  I noticed that complete uppers with chrome lined barrels and chambers are listed as 5.56 NATO.  Haven't seen one stating for .223.  I always thought 5.56 and .223 were interchangeable.  ???????????? If I get one of those uppers will .223 operate in it OK?

Like I said, dumb question.

Yes, .223 will operate fine in a 5.56 NATO chamber.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
.223 A.O.K. in 5.56...the reverse not necessarily so, however.

Only time you have to be concerned is using MILSURP ammo in a "match"-quality .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
See Ammo Oracle
The .223 chamber is often used on match grade barrels, and since chrome lined bores do not usually give the best accuracy you would not normally mix a .223 chamber with a chromed bore.
While a chromed bore will give you better reliability in bad and dirty conditions and more than enough accuracy for the average GI Joe, if you want 1/2 MOA or better groups at 600 yards GENERALLY one would go with the unchromed bore and .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy cow.  Never realized there was those differences mentioned in the Ammo Oracle.  Glad I asked that dumb question.  Thanks all.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top