Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 12:36:03 AM EDT
I'm a newbie building my first upper. I read somewhere that it's best to have dedicated bolt carrier assemblies for different uppers.  For right now I'd like to avoid buying a new bolt carrier assembly to save some cash. Is it ok to use my old b/c assembly in the new upper? I don't plan on burning thousands of rounds through this upper (building a varmint rig with a SS HBAR barrel and FF tube). Also, does anyone know the cheapest place to get an armorers wrench and upper receiver vise block? Thanks, Whipper
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
As a general rule you want to use new to new then/or new to used.  If you need to use used to used then you need to check the head space.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It is recommended that you keep bolts with their respective barrels. You could save a little money by having a separate bolt for each barrel, but only ONE bolt carrier that is swapped around.

As for action blocks and armorer's wrenches, you might as well use what many consider to be the best:

www.bushmaster.com
Bushmaster action clamp -- #OM-003

www.olyarms.com
Olympic Arms armorer's wrench -- #H28B
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
i keep the bolts with the bbls they came with.

but its your money so do as you please
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with keeping the bolts with the barrels. As for the carriers, I dont think that would have any effects at all.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I was kind of wondering this as well.  I have a complete factory bushmaster that I am changing out the barrel on for another factory bushmaster barrel.  Just a different twist rate.  The origional complete rifle probably has about 400 rounds through it.

Do you think it is safe to keep the origional bolt with the new barrel?  I wasn't planning on getting a new bolt.  Trying to save some cash in this project.  Would only 400 rounds wear a bolt that much that I would need to get a new one to match the new barrel?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top