Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 4:27:28 PM EDT
I built a new upper and shot it today.  The thing does not even try to cycle.  It unlocks the bolt and that's it.  I noticed when I assemble the gas block the gas port seems extremely small.  Can anyone tell me what the right size gas port would be for a 20" rifle system.  Thanks.  Nick
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If the barrel is .625" under the gas block, then the gas port should be between .086" and .093".

If the barrel is .750" under the gas block, then the gas port should be between .093" and .096".

I doubt that this is a case of too small a gas port, as you state that there is no bolt movement at all.

Are you using an aftermarket gas block or a standard front sight base? It sounds like you may not have the hole in the gas block/FSB aligned correctly with the gas port in the barrel. Also, check to make sure that the gas tube is installed correctly with the gas hole facing downward.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel is .936" under the gas block.  I'm using an Olympic gas block on an Olympic SUM barrel.  The alignment is good and there is enough pressure to unlock the bolt.  I tried a different BCG and double checked the gas tube and block for flow.  I am sure the port is too small at only .065" but I'm not sure how large it really needs to be.  Hence why I ask.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no gas port specs for a barrel that large in diameter, but if you look at the other ones listed above, the larger diameter the barrel, the larger the gas port. .065" definitely sounds small. Hopefully someone else with chime in with better info.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
0.065 is smallish even for a carbine gas system. I'd start at 0.105/0.110 for rifle length. barrel diameter has nothing to do with port size, its distance from the muzzle and bore size. This is a 5.56 barrel correct?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top