Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 6:01:42 PM EDT
Which would provide better accuracy at 200 yards using 62 grain bullets, and what twist ratio?

Im building this on a stripped stag lower, and Im heading to the gun show tomorrow.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
bbl length has no affect on accuracy--just velocity

www.ammo-oracle.com--try a 1-9 twist

as long as you have a good, quality bbl, you should be fine
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
A 20" will do you fine, hell, a 16" will be fine too. As for the twist rate, at that grain you wont have a problem with a standard 1 in 9 twist, but if you ever think you will be shooting heavier bullets I would go ahead and get a 1 in 8
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Any idea what the velocity differences are between a 20" and 24"?  Why to the varmit shooters prefer the 24" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure what the loss is but I doubt it is enough to make a difference at common shooting distances for varment hunters. I think it is a "feel good" thing more than anything.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I do a quite a bit of varmint hunting and the only reason I like the 24 inch barrel is it adds a little more weight (especially the super bull barrels) so there is less muzzle jump and you can see the bullet impact.  For performance, you will get a little more velocity but that is going to be relatively insignificant.  There will be no noticeable difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
bbl length has no affect on accuracy--just velocity

www.ammo-oracle.com--try a 1-9 twist

as long as you have a good, quality bbl, you should be fine

Thank you for the link, I found a great deal on a 2 stage trigger and lower parts for my Stag.  Could find the set up I want for an upper, but I did pick up a Lee Press to start reloading.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top