Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 7:16:57 PM EDT
Hi all,

I installed an accuwedge in my rifle today....I trimmed it down to fit but I had to tap the rear pin to seat it completely through. Now, it's certainly tight but I wondered if it could be too tight? Is there potential wear damage from my current 'fit' or would you advise trimming it a bit more?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've got AR15s that are super loose, as well as some that are very tight.  The tight ones are new, and will wear in to a normal fit.  The loose ones have been that way since I did some mods to them.  There is no difference in accuracy or reliability.

The point is that a tight pin will loosen up.  You've just created a tight pin.

Thanks for the reply Stickman!
So, are you saying that you personally don't recommend the use of a wedge?  I've never tried one before so I'd appreciate any feedback.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
You should be able to assemble and take down the weapon without the use of tools.  

I'd trim it down some more.

I have to squeeze my receivers together a bit to open and close them, but that's as tight as I am willing to accept.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Accuwedges are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#6]
you'll likely need to squeeze the two receivers together pretty hard sometimes...  i've never had to trim any of the ones i've installed regardless of the upper or lower manufacturer.  if you trim so much off that you don't have to squeeze the two receivers together, you've lost whatever gain you might have experienced by installing it...

as far as what FALARAK says...  i sometimes wonder if there is a great aid with these, but i figure if it helps keep things still, then the upper will be contacted by all moving and nonmoving parts the same way every time.  that can't hurt...

as for results - i've never shot without one extensively and installed one and duplicated the shooting scenario to test their effectiveness.

HTH.

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Indeed.  They don't fix anything.  The name is misleading.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried Accuwedges but they never fit right and found them frustrating to retrofit.  I tried O-Rings around the front lug but that never worked either cause they'd always snap or severe.

The final answer was simply cutting a foam earplug in half and placing it under the rear lug.  It snugs it just enough to keep the wobble at zero, but allows the take down pin to move in and out without too much resistance.  IMHO it's the best solution I've found or discovered in the last 6 years.

I have a Bushmaster & Stag that both have foam earplugs in them.  My RRA is tighter than the gates of hell.

To cut the foam earplug in half, you can do it easily by putting it in the freezer for a few minutes then cut it with a box cutter or razor knife.  Then, let it thaw, and simply toss it in the lower reciever under the rear lug.  It does a good job "expanding" to fill the voids between the lug and the reciever.  It's also durable enough to withstand years of use.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree they don't fix or improve anyting in terms of accuracy, they just get rid of the slight annoying movement of the receivers.

I have them on my two Colts and since they are low shelf lowers, I didn't have to trim 'em.

On my guns I just push down the upper towards the lower with my left hand (or squeeze the upper and lower together with my left hand), push and pull the rear takedown pin with my right fingers, using tools to push the pin should not be required.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the opinions, all.   Very helpful.  I guess my only remaining question is...is there any harmful effect to using the wedge? My concern would be (as was alluded to by Stickman) that it might excelerate wear if too tight. any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I tried Accuwedges but they never fit right and found them frustrating to retrofit.  I tried O-Rings around the front lug but that never worked either cause they'd always snap or severe.

The final answer was simply cutting a foam earplug in half and placing it under the rear lug.  It snugs it just enough to keep the wobble at zero, but allows the take down pin to move in and out without too much resistance.  IMHO it's the best solution I've found or discovered in the last 6 years.

I have a Bushmaster & Stag that both have foam earplugs in them.  My RRA is tighter than the gates of hell.

To cut the foam earplug in half, you can do it easily by putting it in the freezer for a few minutes then cut it with a box cutter or razor knife.  Then, let it thaw, and simply toss it in the lower reciever under the rear lug.  It does a good job "expanding" to fill the voids between the lug and
the reciever.  It's also durable enough to withstand years of use.

Interesting idea!   BTW, once cut, do you install them lenghtwise or 'standing'?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the opinions, all.   Very helpful.  I guess my only remaining question is...is there any harmful effect to using the wedge? My concern would be (as was alluded to by Stickman) that it might excelerate wear if too tight. any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

You will increase wear by making the rear pin difficult to insert.  The earplug trick will give less pressure if for some reason you feel the wobble is so horrible that something must be done.  

So, are you saying that you personally don't recommend the use of a wedge?

With VERY few exceptions, I see no use for them, and do not recommend them.

Thanks Stickman...I appreciate your input!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To cut the foam earplug in half, you can do it easily by putting it in the freezer for a few minutes then cut it with a box cutter or razor knife.  Then, let it thaw, and simply toss it in the lower reciever under the rear lug.  It does a good job "expanding" to fill the voids between the lug and
the reciever.  It's also durable enough to withstand years of use.

Interesting idea!   BTW, once cut, do you install them lenghtwise or 'standing'?

Lengthwise, so the longest part is parrallel to the bottom of the reciever
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Accuracy wise I agree. I perfer my rifles to have no play in them though.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top