Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 6:32:48 AM EDT
Looking at some of the retro builds, I got to wondering how hard it would be to piece together a near-clone of a model 601.  I mean something that could fool a person from several feet away.  :)

I could get an older SP1 model for a starting point.  That would give me nice, clean-looking upper and lower receivers.

I think I saw somebody selling the early "duckbill" flash hiders recently, but I don't remember where.  I guess if someone was determined enough, they could take a regular 3-prong flash hider and turn it down on a lathe until it looked similar?

I found a "waffle pattern" magazine for sale, the asking price was $350.  Ouch!  But I'd only need one, for display purposes.

Smooth bolt carriers are available, and I could get one chrome-plated.

Standard M16 furniture could be colored dark green with Duracoat.

The one thing that seems like a big obstacle is the charging handle.  I've never seen a 601 style charging handle for sale anywhere, and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to fabricate or "fake" one.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
This would be a good starting point. Keep an eye out on the EE also.

http://home.comcast.net/~luthier4/

rj
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This would be a good starting point. Keep an eye out on the EE also.

home.comcast.net/~luthier4/

rj

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for total silence.

go to their industry forum. also with the mag i found one in the ee for only $90 the guy is trying to trade but cash works too.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top