Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:47:11 AM EDT
I'm one of the A1 enthusiasts seeking a proper A1 lower. With engraving and anodizing available, has anyone tried (or convinced) makers of 80% lowers to do so having hogged out the blank to A1 style rear pivot/buffer tube cuts?  Has anyone done this themselves, and is there info and images of how-to online?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The initial set up would still be the same, which is why we can't sem to get them.  The other issue is that people here can't ever seem to agree on what version of an early receiver they want, which makes a company less than inclined to attempt this when they see that the market is not only small, but fractured and can't agree on anything.

I think the most realistic chance would be contacting OA, or another company that has produced an older style lower, and asking if they would consider doing another run.  The below lower was produced by OA, and would at least be a good start.....

Tweak told me a few years ago that current OA units are made by Mega, so I'll start with them...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot an email to OA asking them what became of their A1 forgings/mold/dies and if they would be willing to make a run of A1 lowers. I'll post their answer when I get it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
i have an 80% project started that im doing in A1 style(SP1ish)
so far i have milled off the mag fence and squared off the the front take down tabs. mag fence was easy with an end mill and squaring off the front take down tabs was even easier
not sure what I'm gonna do about the beefed up buffer tube housing, I think I just might leave it the way it is.  Im gonna have to resandblast the spots where I milled, which means i might have to sandblast the whole thing again to get a uniform prefinish.
my biggest concern is getting the color to match, colt grey.  I read a while back that sandstrom is what they used but I have no clue on where to get it or how to apply it etc.  any info on this anyone?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have an 80% project started that im doing in A1 style(SP1ish)
so far i have milled off the mag fence and squared off the the front take down tabs. mag fence was easy with an end mill and squaring off the front take down tabs was even easier
not sure what I'm gonna do about the beefed up buffer tube housing, I think I just might leave it the way it is.  Im gonna have to resandblast the spots where I milled, which means i might have to sandblast the whole thing again to get a uniform prefinish.
my biggest concern is getting the color to match, colt grey.  I read a while back that sandstrom is what they used but I have no clue on where to get it or how to apply it etc.  any info on this anyone?

Do you mean to say that the buffer tube area is thicker? I thought the A2 buffer tube housing as you call it is thicker?  I would measure my SP1 type lower vs. my two A2 type lowers but I do not have calipers.

I am glad to see so much interest in this. I have been one of the advocates for SOMEONE making good A1 lowers - as well as real gray anodizing - for a couple years. Maybe we can get enough critical mass to bring something to fruition.

I am going to write Mega asking them if they'd do a "515" or "Model 15A1" like this, unanodized or in gray, and an A1, no gator grip. I have always thought that that 'Atomic Age' logo is just right for a 'retro' lower.  I have a design or two of my own I'd like to see - like the 'Liberty Tree' of old.
I have no concerns about doing the mag fence (if I wanted an XM) or pivot tabs, it's the buffer tube area that I have no idea how to do, and would rather 'have done'

Color match - U.S. Anodizing does 'Pre Ban Gray' and it is a type III milspec hardcoat anodizing rather than a spray/bake product.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I shot an email to OA asking them what became of their A1 forgings/mold/dies and if they would be willing to make a run of A1 lowers. I'll post their answer when I get it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Stickman,
If its a project you are serious about, it may be worth talking to the owner.

I will wait and see what response I get first. I have spoken to the owner on a previous occasion when my unit needed Simunition mags in Germany. Seemed like a nice guy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I didnt read your original post too well.......youre right.  and I am saying that the buffer tube area is reinforced on the A2.  i dont think there is any good way of machining one to like A1 specs so ill probably just leave it the way it is with my project.
people have been trying for the last  couple of years to have someone make an A1 style commercially.  I thought someone did a run on them with prototypes and what not posted for critique(forget who the company was)  I was in Iraq and missed the boat on one of those, if they did even in fact make the run of them.  Im not sure, i would like to know how they turned out though.
Ill check on US anodizing...sounds like the best way to go, any idea on a price or website?

If you can talk someone into another run count me in for at least a couple
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I didnt read your original post too well.......youre right.  and I am saying that the buffer tube area is reinforced on the A2.  i dont think there is any good way of machining one to like A1 specs so ill probably just leave it the way it is with my project.
people have been trying for the last  couple of years to have someone make an A1 style commercially.  I thought someone did a run on them with prototypes and what not posted for critique(forget who the company was)  I was in Iraq and missed the boat on one of those, if they did even in fact make the run of them.  Im not sure, i would like to know how they turned out though.
Ill check on US anodizing...sounds like the best way to go, any idea on a price or website?

If you can talk someone into another run count me in for at least a couple

I have taken several DPMS lowers , and modifyed them to look XM177 style - it was a ballbuster , but is possible -  i can TIG weld aluminum - so this takes the pressuer off me if i make a mistake -  i used a dremel hand pencil grinder with a foot pedal speed controll to remove the mag fence & A2 reinf. area on buffer tube areas- then i finished off the mag fence by carefuly grindimg with a dremel 1" fiberglass wheel - then finished off with small files & emery paper , as you will have to sand blast receiver & moly coat anyway after you do this , there is a little more margin for error - as the flat "matt" surface of the receiver doesnot show all the flaws, -i can post pics if it will help you-
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Id like to see a pic
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top