Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:06:25 PM EDT
Hello all, new to this thread, so please bear with me.....

I have a 16" bbl, DPMS L.E.O. carbine, complete with bayonet lug, flash-hider and collapsible stock, straight from DPMS.  I've also added a 3-point sling, vert. foregrip, red dot sight and a SWAN sleeve riser with flip-up rear sight.  I also have a few questions about upgrading/ fixing current problems.  

1st Problem:        I got the rifle for L.E. use and then ran into some hard times with family.  Had it for 2 years before I ever shot the darn thing.  Started sighting it in and found that when I finished, I was shooting 1-1.5 moa but my rear sight was almost pegged to the right, allowing for little or no windage adjustment and basically cramping my neck when I shoot because I have to crawl over the stock so much to het proper sight alignmnet.  I've pretty much just gotten use to it (with the application of a red dot sight).  Now I've been issued a .223 rifle from HK and I've gotten my feelings hurt about my own AR.  SO, I want to fix it, but don't know where to start......Looking for any suggestions you guys might have.

2nd Problem:       Deals with an upgrade.  I think I want to put a free floating/ modular forearm on my rifle.  I also want to get rid of my pinned front site and base.  What I think I want to do is put a low profile gas block in place of the front site and put an extended length forearm on the rifle (like for a 20" bbl) and create a "DPMS Tuber" (see pic at end of post) effect with greater abbility to accessorize the rifle (vert. forearm, lights, etc).  

Didn't know if this stuff was possible or even worth my time, so I came to you guys for a little advice.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have a 16" bbl, DPMS L.E.O. carbine, complete with bayonet lug, flash-hider and collapsible stock, straight from DPMS.  I've also added a 3-point sling, vert. foregrip, red dot sight and a SWAN sleeve riser with flip-up rear sight.  I also have a few questions about upgrading/ fixing current problems.  

1st Problem:        I got the rifle for L.E. use and then ran into some hard times with family.  Had it for 2 years before I ever shot the darn thing.  Started sighting it in and found that when I finished, I was shooting 1-1.5 moa but my rear sight was almost pegged to the right, allowing for little or no windage adjustment and basically cramping my neck when I shoot because I have to crawl over the stock so much to het proper sight alignmnet.  I've pretty much just gotten use to it (with the application of a red dot sight).  Now I've been issued a .223 rifle from HK and I've gotten my feelings hurt about my own AR.  SO, I want to fix it, but don't know where to start......Looking for any suggestions you guys might have.

2nd Problem:       Deals with an upgrade.  I think I want to put a free floating/ modular forearm on my rifle.  I also want to get rid of my pinned front site and base.  What I think I want to do is put a low profile gas block in place of the front site and put an extended length forearm on the rifle (like for a 20" bbl) and create a "DPMS Tuber" (see pic at end of post) effect with greater abbility to accessorize the rifle (vert. forearm, lights, etc).  

Didn't know if this stuff was possible or even worth my time, so I came to you guys for a little advice.  Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a classic case of a canted front sight base. Send it back to DPMS if you can. If you change it out for a set screw flip up set up, I don't think it would be a problem. There are folks on this site who know a heck of a lot more about modular/BUIS stuff than I do, so I'll let them chime in on that stuff. Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same situation on my 1st Bushmaster. Rear sight was all the way to the left. I just had our armorer swap a flat top on it and put a flip up rear sight on it. It's almost dead center now. I don't know if he trued up the barrel or if the rear sight but it's a hell of a lot better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

dont worry about the canted fsb if you plan on doing this. if you install a railed freefloat that covers the gas block then you will need a flip sight that mounts onto the rail itself with that make sure whoever installs your freefloat squares it damn near perfect.

what mount do you have on your reddot and which reddot are you using? with some optics you can get different mounts for it so that it would work better on top of your swan sleeve some you cant. what you can do is get rid of the swan sleeve and just get a regular rear buis by itself and mount your optics in front of it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I've sinced changed dept's and these guys, eventhough they are good buddies of mine are "strictly forbidden" by policy to work on their or someone else's personal guns.  In addition, we have GLock armorers, S&W armorers, HK armorers, Benelli armorers and Remington armorers.  Nobody is an AR-15/M-16 armorer.  Why?  This dept doesn't allow us to carry the best patrol carbine in the world.  "Our city is not ready to see our officers walking around with military style assault riflles", quoteth the City Manager and Chief.

Therefore, I have to farm out my AR-15 problems or do them myself.  As an added bonus, I'm on the ERT (SWAT team) so I get the "cool toys" to play with.  And good people to work with, including ones with ARs who have similar "issues" with not having ARs.

But thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
eklkwhoa,

i'm using the mount that came with the red dot optic.  its a Tasco pro point.  cheap, yes.  effective, you betcha.  accurate, actually yes.  its got two rings (weaver) that fit onto the flat top of the receiver.  plan on changing it to a leopold cqb site, would like an ACOG, but i dont like the 4X32 only factor and the fact that its "permanently" attached, even with a quick detach mount (then you have to hang onto it if you're in the field).  before I can do all that, I gotta get more money, budget, budget, budget!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
For an actual duty gun I would touch no other rail system then Larue. If you want to cover you gas-block use a 9.0 rail system. It will cover your carbine gas-block and personally the tuber looks like an accident waiting to happen with a hand slip into muzzle territory. But on a 20" that is kinda difficult... just some ideas.

There is several flip up irons for rail systems too so your covered there also.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
True on the dicipline thing.

But you don't really need an action block. Wood blocks work for all my vise duties, in a pinch. Sure its nice to have the luxury. But if its $40 for a block of plastic or $40 for a flashlight (G2 + mount). You know what I am picking.

I also agree on the fixed sight thing. I found the question a bit odd when he proposed the idea. Liabilty comes to mind. No one wants to explain why they had to stop to flip up their irons in a hostage situation gone south.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top