Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:33:50 AM EDT
I just bought a beautiful Colt M4 barrel  off the EE (thanks Mike!). Can I legally install this barrel on a rifle if the FH is permanently pinned? Or do I still have to go the SBR route, and pay the $200 tax?

JoeLad
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should post this in Hometown (PA.)

Someone may be more keen on the (PA.) Laws...............
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
PA laws don't have much too much do with it. PA law say anything with a barrel of less than 16" must go through an FFL, no private sale allowed. Fed laws are what I'm worried about. The NFA of 1934 says anything with a barrel of less than 16" is contraband, unless you submit forms and cash to the tune of $200 to make it a Short Barreled Rifle.

The way I see it, the less Uncle know about me and my guns, the better. If I can pin the FH, and install the barrel without breaking Fed law, I'll do it.

JoeLad
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#3]
14.5" barrel must have a perm. attached flash suppressor.  Whether it be welded, blind pinned, etc. to bring the overall length to 16".  If it is attached, just measure from the upper receiver to the end of the flash suppressor and if it is over 16" you are fine.

If the barrel is 16" itself then you don't have to perm. attach it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is a Phamton Flash Hider and it is Perm attached you are good to go.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top