Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 4:29:41 PM EDT
First time builder. I have all my parts, with the exception of a LPK.  I can't find anything on the forums comparing the kits.

RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, DPMS,  Olympic, etc....  Who's kit is the best overall quality?

Which kits are chinsey?   I notice the prices are within $10 of each other, so it's even harder to decide....

I have a Mega Gator lower if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the RRA kits better than the DPMS I used. The reason is the RRA came with true roll pins. It also seems the trigger is a little smoother, but that is hard to quantify.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
CMT

Colt if you can find such a beast (and no i'm part of the kool-aid gang).
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Avoid DPMS if possible.  I had to spend 15 minutes with my grinder to add the proper notch on the top front of the hammer.  I hope it didn't kill the heat treating on the hammer face.  A buddy had the same problem a DPMS LPK.  The hammer was catching the back of the firing pin and keeping the bolt from closing; not good for firing pin or reliability.  I don't care if DPMS supports 3-gun shooting, they are on my avoid list for now.  

Here's a link to the troubleshooting section of the forum:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=269494
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
cmt/stag best LPK there is
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for CMT/Stag. I used two last year and they went together superbly.

I just ordered four more lowers yesterday. When I'm ready all 4 of them will have CMT/Stag internals.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
bushmaster has the best attention to detail compared to all that i have used.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Avoid DPMS if possible.  I had to spend 15 minutes with my grinder to add the proper notch on the top front of the hammer.  I hope it didn't kill the heat treating on the hammer face.  A buddy had the same problem a DPMS LPK.  The hammer was catching the back of the firing pin and keeping the bolt from closing; not good for firing pin or reliability.  I don't care if DPMS supports 3-gun shooting, they are on my avoid list for now.  

Maybe it your lower that is out of spec.  The notch in the hammer is to catch the bolt/carrier group in case it goes full auto on you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it your lower that is out of spec.  The notch in the hammer is to catch the bolt/carrier group in case it goes full auto on you.

the notch catches and there have been several cases. carriers with shrouded firing pins remedies this
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I hear that RRA kits are pretty good. You guys have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I like RRA or Bushmaster
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:03:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I've used Colt, Bushmaster and Fulton Armory.

All were really nice, except Bushmaster insists upon continuing to use plastic trigger guards.

Anyone know why?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I have used several RRA LPK. To this point I have not had any trouble with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I have used three DPMS sets. I am very happy.

as for the hammer knotch... get a new carrier with the fully shrouded firing pin (which is proper) and the non-cut hammer will work as designed.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#15]
i've haven't put together a ton of parts kits yet, but i've good and bad about all of them.  the only negative thing i can say is that i've bought a few parts kits from DPMS that had "soft" pieces.  safety selector and/or pins that wore excessively in the first few hundred rounds.

i seem to hear consistently that bushy combines great quality with affordability.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#16]
With regards to plastic vs/ aluminum trigger guards...  it is my understanding that under extreme circumstances, and aluminum trigger guard can bend, blocking the trigger from being used.  Under the same extreme circumstances, the plastic trigger guard would break away, leaving the rifle/carbine still functional.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#17]
CMT/Stag
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
rra is functional and nice but compared to bushmaster there is noticeable "attention to detail" differences where the bushmaster kit shines!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#19]
My factory rifle is a Bushmaster, and I have to say it does kick AZZ.  As a matter of fact, all my parts less the stripped lower are Bushmaster. The lower is Mega Gator.

I've decided to go with the RRA LPK and a RRA NM trigger (in the EE, BOTH for $149!).

Thanks guys!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Roger that, will do.   I appreciate all you guys on this forum, you guys are very helpful, and honest (sometimes to a fault, lol).   Thanks, again!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the RRA parts.  Do yourself a favor and buy one of the RRA two stage premium trigger groups.  You will love it.  I’m hooked on the.  Can’t bring myself to use anything else
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I like the RRA parts.  Do yourself a favor and buy one of the RRA two stage premium trigger groups.  You will love it.  I’m hooked on the.  Can’t bring myself to use anything else

I did. Read about 3 posts above this one.....   I just hope I don't get "spoiled" on it, lol.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I used an RRA parts kit on mine and it was great.  only non RRA part i used  was a DPMS ambi safety.  Accordingly, the only part i needed to sand to make fit was.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I used a RRA LPK with NM trigger in my Gator lower and it works great.  Good luck with your build and post some pics!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
With regards to plastic vs/ aluminum trigger guards...  it is my understanding that under extreme circumstances, and aluminum trigger guard can bend, blocking the trigger from being used.  Under the same extreme circumstances, the plastic trigger guard would break away, leaving the rifle/carbine still functional.

That sounds like BS to me. All you would have to do is open up the trigger guard if it were blocking anything and that would sove your problem. They are made to pivot open.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I use RB Presison first time builders kits for most of my lowers. They go together easy and are the cheapest priced kit out there. All their parts are name brand stuff they shopped around and buy in bulk the individle parts and put them togther in to a kit form. I think they use a lot of RRA parts in their kits.  

RB Presision LPK sale thread
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Do the kits come in pieces or are they already assembled.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone had any experience with Armalite LPK's ? I came across one in a trade and was wondering if I should use it in my next build. I figure Armalite parts should be pretty good but you never know.

T
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Do the kits come in pieces or are they already assembled.
Thanks

The RB Presision LPK come both ways when you order one just make sure you ask for it to be sub assmbled. I don't think any one else out there will do that for you. Robert and Krista from RB Presision  are he best.

I just got two kits to day and i noticed they use Colt hammers in their kits or at least i think they are Colts they have a  "C" on them. I went and looked and all my other LPK's from RB Presision and they all have Colt hammers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I have ordered shit loads of DPMS LPKs from brownells and in the last 2 orders I have had 2 bent bolt catchs and had to use a vice, heat and hammer to get them strait to even fit in the lowers....bad batch maybe? anyone else see any of these?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top