Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:30 PM EDT
I just got hold of a used Smith Enterprise carrier that does not have a gas key on it. Where do I find a gas key, and is there anything specific I should know about puting it on. I did read Tweak's staking thread, but is there anything more I should know?

Also, what is the differences in carriers. I thought I saw a thread once that explained it, but I could not find it again, Anone help?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Replace the bolt carrier key using red Loc-Tite as a gasket and torque the hex screws to 35-40 inch lbs. and stake them in place.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Replace the bolt carrier key using red Loc-Tite as a gasket and torque the hex screws to 35-40 inch lbs. and stake them in place.

That is the book answer, and a correct one.  You can take this a step further, and lap the surfaces to ensure they are perfectly flat and seal best.  If you arent already familiar with the process... then dont worry with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I wouldn't have thoought of the red loctite.

Where do I get a key from? Brownell's? Midway? any others?
Brownells and midway only have DPMS keys.................
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Brownells has another companys key also that is chromed inside the tube part of the key.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9821&title=AR-15%2fM16+REPLACEMENT+PARTS
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top