Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:57:32 AM EDT
Hey everyone, this is my first post, and just want to say you guys are awesome and really seem to know your stuff!

With that said, I am playing with the idea of building my first AR. I have searched and looked at the Del-Ton and Model 1 Sales complete rifle kits, and have seen their reviews. Some things I have noticed is that a chrome lined bore is an option, but not standard. The general consensus seems to be that CL is the way to go. Anyway, I am really wondering is, after the options I feel I need have been added, is it really worth it to get the complete kit, or should I buy a lower and a LPK, then find an upper and stock I like?

As most newbies do, I am trying not to kill my pocket, and I know that is a little vague. I would appreciate your guys' time and input toward making me an AR-adict (You're off to a good start!)

Here is what I am looking fo as far as a rifle goes.

-CMMG lower (what I plan to build on)
-CMMG LPK (if I don't go with a kit)
-Basically an M4gery as far as the rest goes I guess.
-For sure want a flat top.

Thanks a lot everyone, I know it seems like you guys spend half your time answering simple questions for newbies like me, so I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the DISEASE
I'm in the process of building one myself. I decided to go with the lower, LPK, and a stock I got off of the EE. After totaling up the costs I've got around 230 into a complete lower. If you choose this route you get to pick and choose what parts you want. With the kits, unless you can choose "upgrades", you usually end up changing parts later.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
This is my first post as well, I would say if you only want a stock trigger, you shoot with gloves and a two stage is not something your looking for go with a kit,  If the tirgger group is an issue why bother with a kit just piece it togerther.  Ive used both and the end result is always a beautiful thing.  Have fun.

tiggy
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
just wanted to reply also, as I just made the same decision last week. Have decided to piece mine together.

So far, have a lpk (hopefully arrives today)
bought a stock from EE
planning to stop by the g/s this eve. and pick up a RRA stripped lower.

Will have about 216 in it that far.... If I can contain myself, I plan to piece together an upper. Really want to try for 475-500 total build cost minus magazine, sling, etc....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies thus far guys. The CMMG lower and LPK will be about 180, then I would still have to find a stock. What is a good source for fairly reasonably priced uppers? Again looking for a 14.5 with a phantom, or a 16"...something in that area. Thanks.

BTW, got another newbie question...what is EE? I'm still trying to get an idea of all the good places to buy parts, etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just wanted to reply also, as I just made the same decision last week. Have decided to piece mine together.

So far, have a lpk (hopefully arrives today)
bought a stock from EE
planning to stop by the g/s this eve. and pick up a RRA stripped lower.

Will have about 216 in it that far.... If I can contain myself, I plan to piece together an upper. Really want to try for 475-500 total build cost minus magazine, sling, etc....

Building an AR for that kind of money would be awesome. I am willing to spend a little more, but again, I am trying to build a good gun for a fair price.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BTW, got another newbie question...what is EE? I'm still trying to get an idea of all the good places to buy parts, etc.

The "EE" is the Equipment Exchange. Look at the tabs at the top of the page, it's right under the big
MI

Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol. I've even looked in there before, I just never put 2 and 2 together. Thanks a million.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
AWWWWW..... GREAT - MORE COMPETITION IN THE EE SECTION...LOL

JUST KIDDING.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#9]
And also undertsand, that I am willing to spend more, and I too am intending for it to be a nice quality rifle when I'm done...... I'm just ok with some used parts here and there... also ok with say a 4-pos. stock VS. a 6-pos... am ok with it being used, VS. new (about a third the cost too).

Just hope I can contain myself long enough to piece the upper together, rather than just drop the money...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Check eagle firearms or Title II arms for a stripper Stag lower ($90-95)
Shop the EE for everything else.
You'll end up with a quality, reliable build, without breaking your wallet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again guys. I'm no competition on EE, I'm just a poor boy! I've been doing a lot of hunting, now my search for a good deal on complete uppers is in full swing!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top