Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2006 11:58:25 AM EDT
Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum and havn't fired an AR since 1968-71. I have done allot of trigger jobs and rebuilds on rimfires. (10/22s) and I have a Yugoslav SKS. I would like to build myself an AR. This Forum seems to have all the info I need to do it. My question is "Can I build one in New Jersey? There are plenty of guys shooting ARs out at the range . I know there must be some restrictions. Can't seem to find any info with a search. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks   Ed C (Ghostdoc)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You can build, but you will be limited on "evil" features and magazine capacity.  I ain't from NJ, so I am sure someone will be along to give you the specifics.  My gut tells me your guys' ban pretty much mimics the old federal one, except you can have 15 round mags.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can build, but you will be limited on "evil" features and magazine capacity.  I ain't from NJ, so I am sure someone will be along to give you the specifics.  My gut tells me your guys' ban pretty much mimics the old federal one, except you can have 15 round mags.  

What he said ^
I've built 2 so far. As long as they are AWB compliant, and mags are limited to 15 rds or less, you are good to go.
No flash hiders, no threaded barrels, no collapsable stocks.
You can have a muzzlebreak, but it must be permanently attached by either silversoldering it on, or blind pinned.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Gentlemen. I guess an Ace Skeleton Stock would be OK. I don't believe they are telescopic. As for magazines , Do we plug em like our shotgun chambers, or maybe they make followers that turn a 20 to a 15 rounder. I can use all the help I can get fellas, so keep the posts coming.  Thanks   Ed C
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks Gentlemen. I guess an Ace Skeleton Stock would be OK. I don't believe they are telescopic. As for magazines , Do we plug em like our shotgun chambers, or maybe they make followers that turn a 20 to a 15 rounder. I can use all the help I can get fellas, so keep the posts coming.  Thanks   Ed C

Someone posted a link a couple days ago to some people who are building legal 15 round mags just for NJ, and they were pretty well priced IIRC.  My guess is they have to meet some sort of manufacturing requirements (such as converting back to a high cap would result in destruction of the mag) so you may/may not be able to build your own 15 rounders.  Creative Products may be coming out with a 15 round mag as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
So far I have built three AR's (SPR, .45 & 7.62x39) so far and two of them have the Ace skelton stock. IMHO I really don't like the Ace skeleton stock all that much. I don't hate them, but I am not too happy with them. Now that Magpul has there fancy new fixed stock out I may get one of those for my scoped rifle and a VLTOR rifle length for the other one. My biggest problem with the ACE stock is that they aren't really that comfortable to rest your cheek on and for scoped rifles, your cheek rests a bit low. Good luck on your build and it sure is great living in this state!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I am bound and deterined to do this. Once I get bit I can't turn back. I like the idea of the telescopic stock, but I don't need it. Also looking at the flat top uppers rather than the handle.  Thanks for responding.    Ed C
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
NJ legal ARs must be 16" or longer without a threaded barrel.  No flash hiders allowed breaks must be pinned in place permanately.  No Bayonet lugs allowed.  Collapsable stocks are allowed for looks but not function meaning that the stock must be pinned in the open position.  15 round mags maximum and NJ State Police just sent out notification that only manufactured mags limited to 15 rounds are now allowed.  meaning no longer can you use temporarily blocked 30 or 20 round mags.  There are ways around some of these things like if you removed the pistol grip you could conceivably use a collapsing stock or bayo lug but what would be the point of that??  If you really want to find out what you can make then go shopping at your local gun stores and see what they are allowed to sell you and use that as a reference of what you can build.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Murph. Good advice.   EC
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks Murph. Good advice.   EC

My pleasure please post pics when youre all said and done with the build I would like to see what ya came up with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I also live in beuatiful NJ, would love to be able to have a 30rd mag.  Not having a collapsable stock is not that big of a problem for me.   I am also thinking of putting a skeleton stock on my 24" Bushmaster Varmiter.  Hope your build goes well, post some pics when complete.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I also live in beuatiful NJ, would love to be able to have a 30rd mag.

I'd like to have a million dollars, but hey, this is Jersey.
All we can do is bend over and let our state .gov stick it to us again...and again

Come over to the NY/NJ Hometown forum and see PK90's thread on his 15 round Jersey-legal mags.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks fellas. This is probably gonna take some time. Money is tight, but I will certainl;y document my progress here on the Forum. I will look for the NY/NJ Hometown site. Didn't even know there was one. Still trying to get the RRA stripped lower. Don't seem to be getting good communications with the dealers. Thanks all.   Ed C  (ghostdoc)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top