Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 2:32:34 PM EDT
Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this great site. Please forgive me as I'm sure this has been asked many times, and thanks for your indulgence. I have recently purchased a Stag lower (AR15) and would like to start gathering parts and deciding on what direction I want to go with this weapon. I've gotten familiar with the laws in CA regarding this buildup, so I understand some of the choices I need to makae. My biggest hurdle right now is, with all the different configurations, which is the best to go. At this point, I know I cannot begin to give enough information, so I'd lke to just hear some ideas and input, and answer questions as they come. With the experience I've read here, you guys can ask the important questions better than I can. My one deciasion I have made isa that I'd like to build this as a 6.8. My intention is really not to have a sporting rifle, although I'll take it out and get familiar with it, but more to have a legitimate tactical weapon that can be used if ever a conflict may arise. Medieum to long range accuracy, close quarters manuverability, reliable, durable, etc. Am I on the right track here? The mechanics of the project aren't an issue, and cost, although always a consideration, isn't necessarily a limiting factor.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
your next step will be to get a parts kit then your stock and buffer.  I'm building a Stag lower this week.  You can get a Stag parts kit for $65 from any number of vendors.  Check the Equipment exchange and you can build a complete rifle  pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Be sure to check out the California Forum here on Arfcom to keep abreast of all laws concerning AR-15 rifles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, have you read the 6.8 FAQ tacked at the top of the AR15 discussion forum? It should answer a lot of questions you have about the 6.8's usage and applications.

+1 on keeping up with your state laws. We'd like to keep you around. Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I'll do as much topic search as I can, as I know that most questions have been answered. I guess my main question is as follows: What wold be the best all around configuration to build with this rifle? What I mean is, what type of stock, barrel, sights, foregrip, etc. Carry handle, no handle, scope, lighting, etc. I know that if I had a specific use it would be easier, but I don't. Just want a good all-round tactical weapon. Can someone direct me to several examples to look at? Maybe once I see something I can ask better questions.
Thanks again. In the meantime, I'll do some searching.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
For what it's worth, I've been leaning towards building a 6.8 SPR carbine myself. Something along the lines of "recon"-type carbine. This would be a collapsible stock, flat top upper receiver and free float handguards. I haven't finalized just what I'm going to use where, but I recently purchased a MagPul M93B for the buttstock, in Coyote Brown. So that will be the color of the rest of the furniture. Plus it'll fit in well with the semiarid local environment. I plan on using a conventional scope but will likely have an Aimpoint or EOTech for other use. An ACOG would be a very good compromise but they tend to be out of my price range.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Bob. That sounds like the basic direction I'm leaning. Probably less tactical ..more recon/ outdoor application. Hell, who knows. What are the pros and cons of flat top vs. carry-handle upper? What is an ACOG?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What are the pros and cons of flat top vs. carry-handle upper?

A flat top is a better system for mounting optics to than on top of an A2's carry handle. It's best to get the flat top. That way, you can use a detachable carry handle that looks just like an A2 carry handle if you want to use iron sights, but can be removed for optics mounting.

What is an ACOG?

www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top