Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 1:18:00 PM EDT
Never used these but I'd like an opinion as to if it's worth the expense. Does it increase the accuracy enough to be worth it. I'll be installing it on a 14.5 inch M4 barrel. If not I think I'd be better off with a 2 piece set. Opinions needed before I start my build. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have a target / varmint gun with hand loads or something like that the FF Tube will not do much for you. But if you like the look you can do it. keep inmind that most guns can shoot better than most people.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one for the simple fact I like the way it looks.I don't have shit to hook on it except the VFG and a Harris bipod.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the way it looks too. I will end up putting a vert. grip and light on. I could do that by putting a rail on the lower handguard. I'm not sure it will even go on my barrel assembly. I have a permanetly installed Phantom FH on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Cetain FF rails require the removal of the Phantom and the FSB,like all the LaRue and certain Knights rails.

Samson,Knights and Troy also make drop in rails.Check the EE,I got a KAC M4(Drop in style) for $165 with all the panels and VFG.I also have a LaRue waiting to be installed once I get a new upper to go with my new BBL.

The drop in rails aren't really free float,but they look cool
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless you have a target / varmint gun with hand loads or something like that the FF Tube will not do much for you.    

This just isn't the whole story though.  Think of ratching down on a sling, if the sling is attached to a FF tube your not going to change the point of impact but if it's attached to the barrel yea you can change the point of impact.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
ETA: I continued my search and found the answers...DISREGARD

so are there any advantages to having a free float system rather than a "non free float system?"?
i will be putting one or the other on a carbine and just want to know the +'s and -'s of both...

Thanks,
Diesel hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Never used these but I'd like an opinion as to if it's worth the expense. Does it increase the accuracy enough to be worth it. I'll be installing it on a 14.5 inch M4 barrel. If not I think I'd be better off with a 2 piece set. Opinions needed before I start my build. Thanks

It depends on what you want to do with your gun, is it just for short range or will it be for long range work.

In my case I decided to just get a drop in rails on my 16" Gov't profile M4gery because I'll be mainly using it for close ranges and I'm not mounting a sling on the handguards, I'm just using a single point sling.

When I got my 16" mid length gas system, mid weight profile carbine, I installed a free float for mid to long ranges.

You could do it either way, what you like best it's up to you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The rifle I'm building now will be a short range tacticle rifle. I'll add a vert grip, aimpoint and light, so I think the 2 piece will work for what I want. On the other hand, I have heavy barrel carbine I'd like to scope and the free float seems right for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The rifle I'm building now will be a short range tacticle rifle. I'll add a vert grip, aimpoint and light, so I think the 2 piece will work for what I want. On the other hand, I have heavy barrel carbine I'd like to scope and the free float seems right for it.

Choosing the type of rails is easy, the hard part now is that there are many brands, models and prices to choose from.

A good reference guide is the tacked thread "FAQ: The Big Thread On FF & Railed Forends" located in the Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels and More forum section.

Good luck.

Here's a pic link of my two piece rails.

A photo of my free float rails.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top