Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 3:52:49 PM EDT
Are ER Shaw AR15 barrels any good?
Looking at the Varmint/Bull 1/8 twist 5.56nato chamber barrel profile for my newest build.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
ER Shaw makes barrels for a number of companies including Colt.  They seem to know what they are doing.  Just keep in mind that they make barrels to the specs set by their clients.  I've seen some dealers use the ER Shaw/Colt connection as marketing to advertise their own barrels.  Just because the barrel is from ER Shaw doesn't mean you're getting a Colt barrel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ER Shaw makes barrels for a number of companies including Colt.

Model 1 Sales too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, if you are going to spend the $$ on a new barrel like that, why not get a high grade custom barrel?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Shaw barrels are about all I use myself, I have always had good service out of Shaw products
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:15:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Shaw barrels are funny in the fact that their consistancy is never really on.  Sometimes you'll get one that will shoot like a dream and other times...  well...  

Not only have I barreled quite a few actions with ER Shaw's work, I've visited the factory and seen their production techniques.  I can tell you that their work is geared towards production production production.  Don't get me wrong, they do an AMAZING job at churning out a massive amount of barrels and selling them at a great cost.  Not only that but you might be surprised just how many guns in the US are sporting Shaw's work.  My suggestion to you is to use Shaw if you're building a plinker, or if you intend to hand-lap the barrel yourself.  If you're trying to build a tack-driver then just drop the extra money on a premium barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top