Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:25:25 AM EDT
Okay, maybe I'm too picky but I got my new 14.5 MOD4 A1 SOCOM W/ permanent Phantom barrel today and as I was checking it out I noticed that the 5C2 phantom isn't aligned so that the closed port is at the very bottom of the barrel.  It's off by about 10 degrees from the sight tower.  

Am I being too picky?  Could the comp effect of this hider cause it to push to one side??

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Use your armorer's wrench and turn it so that it makes you happy....

Call them, or email them and ask to be sent a corrected one and a UPS return tag for the defective one.

If you haven't shot it, it should be no problem.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, should have specified my "perm attached" phantom.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#3]
send it back to them
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Use your armorer's wrench and turn it so that it makes you happy....

Call them, or email them and ask to be sent a corrected one and a UPS return tag for the defective one.

If you haven't shot it, it should be no problem.

+1

its your money and it should be the way you want it
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
They will take care of you.

It may be next week util they get back to you due to being at the Shot show.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It won't cause any issues as far as function, but if it bothers you that much, call them up and talk to them.

Post a picture when you get a chance so we can see how much it is off.

it will still work but as to the function of the 5c2 as a compensator will be off and will push your Bbl to the side, the more it's off the more it will push to the side but since yours is slightly off I don't know if you will feel it at all. I would not hesitate to send it back, with them footing the bill of course and send you another or go to a better company
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't woory about them not taking care of it.

What direction is it off center.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
tag for outcome
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, here are a couple of pics.  I put a popsicle stick on either side of the FH on the flat wrench spots.  They are aligned with the ports so you can compare their position to the sight tower for reference.  

One pic from the front, one from the rear.

I've been staring at it all afternoon long hoping it will correct it's-self, but so far it hasn't. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/GumbyDammit/P2080028.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/GumbyDammit/P2080022.jpg
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it lose at all?

Have you called CMMG yet?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not loose at all.  I haven't called them yet because I wanted to decide how big a deal it is or not before contacting them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I wouldn't care about it being off by that little, but if it bothers you AT ALL, you should call them and I'm sure they'll make it right.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That is definently not right.  I apologize about that.  Please send it back and after SHOT, I'll get a replacement sent out to you.  Please include a letter with the problem and your contact info.

Again, I'm sorry about the misalignment
Jeff

That's good customer service!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That is definently not right.  I apologize about that.  Please send it back and after SHOT, I'll get a replacement sent out to you.  Please include a letter with the problem and your contact info.

Again, I'm sorry about the misalignment
Jeff

Professionalism.

Very nice.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I love it when the company who sold the item reads the post and offers to fix it in the post, that's so cool, and a great way to show everyone else how the company treats it's customers...

Good on ya CMMG...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]

CMMG are tops.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]
If your right handed, that cant isn't actually a bad thing.  Cool that CMMG hopped on here to address that, I know he's gotta be packing for the show tomarrow.  As nice as he seems wonder if he'll sell me one of his displays on Sunday.John
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Jeff, I'm impressed.  Everyone I have talked to has had good things to say about CMMG so I figured it wouldn't be an issue if there was a problem.  Just wasn't sure how big a problem it really was.

I'll send it back tomorrow.  Thanks again for the quick & decisive response.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#21]
That is the kind of customer service that sets Arfcom dealers apart from the rest.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Personally, I wouldn't care about it being off by that little, but if it bothers you AT ALL, you should call them and I'm sure they'll make it right.

if it were just looks I could somewhat agree, but since that will deff push his rifle to the side functionality is at bat. It's nice to see CMMG is a professional company, I'll put them on my " to buy from" list
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
nice! I'm defently ordering my next barrel from them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#24]
In the future, call the place you bought it from prior to posting it on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
In the future, call the place you bought it from prior to posting it on the internet.

Why, he asked us if he was being too picky about it. He has everyright to ask us anything about it before he calls the company, he didn't talk bad about them at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Just to clarify, I was not posting the question to take a dig at CMMG, in fact just the opposite.  I didn't want to jump on the phone and complain about something that might not even be an issue at all.  Last thing I want to do is send it back if nothing is wrong with it.

That said, I am very impressed at how Jeff jumped in and immediately said to send it back.  No questions, no excuses.  In fact I still hadn't decided whether it was worth contacting them at that point, but he is obviously concerned about his customers' satisfaction and wants them to be happy.  If any of my local dealers had ever given me that kind of treatment I wouldn't have even needed CMMG in the first place.

Fact is that most of the dealers I have worked with are small shops trying to eek out a living like everyone else and if they don't have to swap out a barrel and give away a few bucks they won't, can't say I blame them, but in the long run it works against them.  Also, I could have probably scoured the net to find a barrel a few bucks cheaper, but do you think they would have given a crap at all about whether it met my expectaiton or not?  Probably not.

CMMG came highly recommended and now I see why.  If they treat all their customers like that then they are the exception and not the rule and certainly they are worth doing business with in the future.

I also ordered a Vltor rail from them and will post some pics and a full review of my experience when my build is done.  

Thanks for everyones input.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#28]
If you fire the rifle from the prone decision, you don't want the ports aimed downward...kicks up a lot of dust.  That little bit of clocking error on his Phantom probably isn't a huge deal, but it's worth fixing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top