Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:43:45 AM EDT
I am a newbie here, and have searched for a posting about this issue, but have not found even one.

I have owned a Colt Sporter since '96 but never registered is an a AW. I just bought a Rock River lower (LAR-15) which is not yet on the list, and wanted to know if I can take my complete Sporter upper and put it on the RR lower, of course using the sporter internal lower parts on the RR lower.

This would allow me to, when the time comes, register it, and I would get my gun back into legal status. I do not want to be breaking the law.

What are the issues with these two parts fitting and how/ what do I need in order to make them work together? I have heard a number of things about the offset being different on the Sporter vs. Mil Spec.

Please help, and thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Suspect you'll have a problem putting Colt's "large" pin tigger in RRA's small trigger pin holes.....

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the fast reposnse. Regarding that front, maybe I just need to buy a lower parts kit, and not disasemble the Sporter lower.

Have you heard anything about the Rear Takedown Lug and the Front Pivot Pin Lug not being compatible or needing something extra to make them fit?

Brad
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
depending on the front pivot pin size on the colt upper you might need an adapter if its larger than norm.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
My "Sporter" has the standard sized pivot and rear take-down pins.

Given your date above supect yours is the same and should mate fine with any current RRA lower.

Only the "older" Colt rifles require the pivot pin adapters.

Mike

ps - easy enough to tell, if the pivot pin and rear takedown  on your Sporter are the same size/diameter, you are A-Okay, if the pivot pin has a larger hole than the rear, you'll need an adapter
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
My sporter had standard front & rear pins, but the larger sized trigger pins.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have owned a Colt Sporter since '96 but never registered is an a AW.

... and I would get my gun back into legal status. I do not want to be breaking the law.

It sounds like you are ALREADY breaking the law.  An UNREGISTERED AW is highly illegal in some states.  And discussing your law breaking on a public forum is NOT very prudent...

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I shipped the lower receiver out of state a long time ago, I just have the upper receiver now. And this is my chance to make the rifle whole again, so I can go out and shoot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top