Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2006 7:53:16 AM EDT
I think i asked this question awhile back but its not in any of my "my Topics" or active topics listings.
Who is currently stocking 16" mid-length barrels w/ 1/7 twist, 4150 steel, MP tested, chrome lined bore and chamber, threaded muzzle, standard A2 front tower designed for use with flat top uppers (Colt tower or post?), and the light weight profile?

What gas tube will I need? The carbine tube, the rifle tube, or a special gas tube?
Will I need a special buffer, M4 feed ramps, or anything else for better feeding?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Talon Arms has what you're looking for from Sabre Defence.

With rifle barrel extension for use with any upper.

Sabre Defence and Talon Arms have put together a special run of mid-length barrels. These are non-catalog barrels. They are available for special order only, exclusivly at TalonArms.com
SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED TO STOCK ON HAND!
Save $30 on a Samson MRFS M 9" railed forearm system when purchased with this barrel

Barrel Specs:
16" Mid-length gas sytem, 1/7 twist, STANDARD RIFLE EXTENSIONS ON THIS BARREL, chrome-lined, F-marked front sight base, government contour (light under the hand-guards) 5.56mm chamber
THIS BARREL IS SHIPPED WITH A SS GAS TUBE AND A2 FLASH HIDER, DELTA RING, SPRING AND TRIANGLE HG CAP INSTALLED
These barrels are Mil-B-1159F Vandium Alloy They are up to 10 RC points harder than 4140 barrels.

HERE

And with M4 barrel extension (for use with an M4-cut upper (like from Sabre or CMT)

Sabre Defence and Talon Arms have put together a special run of mid-length barrels. These are non-catalog barrels. They are available for special order only, exclusivly at TalonArms.com
SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED
Save $30 on a Samson MRFS M 9" railed forearm system when purchased with this barrel

Barrel Specs:
16" Mid-length gas sytem, 1/7 twist, true M4 extensions, chrome-lined, F-marked front sight base, government contour (light under the hand-guards) 5.56mm chamber
THIS BARREL IS SHIPPED WITH A SS GAS TUBE AND A2 FLASH HIDER, DELTA RING, SPRING AND TRIANGLE HG CAP INSTALLED
These barrels are Mil-B-1159F Vandium Alloy They are up to 10 RC points harder than 4140 barrels.

HERE

WIZZO

EDIT: You won't need any special parts. The gas tube is included and the standard carbine buffer will work fine. The handguards will also have to be mid-length too. Also note; these are gov't profile, not LW profile. As far as I know, nobody makes a LW profile middy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG also have the mid length barrels that you described but their model are Gov't profile (approx. 0.625" DIA under the handguards and 0.750 - 0.740 at the FSB and forward) and have M4 feed ramps only.

If you get their barrel assembly, the mid length gas tube, gas tube pin, FSB, barrel nut, delta ring assy, FS and even mid length (approx. 9 inches long) handguards could be purchased with their barrel.

It has been recommended that their barrel with M4 feed ramps should be used with uppers with M4 feed ramps cuts.

If you are going to use a typical free float type rail handguard you don't need the barrel nut and the delta ring assembly, the free float rails usually includes their own barrel nut.

All the parts you'll need for a straight swap are the barrel, FS, FS crush washer, FSB & FSB taper pins, front handguard cap (triangular rifle type), mid length gas tube & tube roll pin, barrel nut, delta ring assembly and lastly a M4 type upper with feed ramp cuts.

I don't know of anyone that makes a lightweight mid length barrels for now but you could always have it recontoured if you wish by ADCO for example.

CMMG barrel website link

Here's a picture of my Colt A3 Tactical Carbine (6721 model) which I re-built myself but using a different barrel from Denny of Global Tactical Supply.

It's called the Operator mid length Mil-Spec barrel with a mid weight slightly heavier than Gov't profile and it's full auto rated.

Pic link of my middy project
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm now steering towards a M4 profile, 16", light-weight contour. CMMG is out of stock of everything I need for several weeks. I can wait, but I'll be looking elsewhere in the meantime.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think i asked this question awhile back but its not in any of my "my Topics" or active topics listings.
Who is currently stocking 16" mid-length barrels w/ 1/7 twist, 4150 steel, MP tested, chrome lined bore and chamber, threaded muzzle, standard A2 front tower designed for use with flat top uppers (Colt tower or post?), and the light weight profile?

What gas tube will I need? The carbine tube, the rifle tube, or a special gas tube?
Will I need a special buffer, M4 feed ramps, or anything else for better feeding?

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=239897

ar-jedi

ps:
if your upper receiver has M4 ramps, make sure that the barrel extension has M4 ramps.  otherwise you are headed for trouble.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=239897

ar-jedi

ps:
if your upper receiver has M4 ramps, make sure that the barrel extension has M4 ramps.  otherwise you are headed for trouble.  

+1
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]
DG's barrel looks great but kind of expensive.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top