Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:23 PM EDT
I bought a upper a while ago and was under the impression that it was pinned, but there were threads under.  So I took the brake off today, and NO threads.  So I am wondering if it is still possible to thread the barrel, with the intent of installing a suppressor, or should I just sell off the barrel and get a threaded one?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be threaded.  Adco has a good rep. for barrel work.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Roughly, how much am I looking at paying?  If it is anything significant, I can just get a new barrel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
ADCO Thread job www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices.cfm?page=shop

$65 plus shipping both ways
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ADCO Thread job www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices.cfm?page=shop

$65 plus shipping both ways

im sure its very good service, but that is a little more than i can spend right now anyways.  maybe ill just stick with the brake for now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#5]
brownells has a new tap guide you stick in the muzzle.  you start your die down on the prethreaded guide and it protects the muzzle, bore and alignment while starting the die for you.

the die and guide cost @ $40 i think.  when you were down, if you've taken care of them i'd bet you could resell them on the EE and recover most of the money...

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The barrel must be turned down to .495 -.500 x .625 before you can use a threading  die if thats the route you want to take.    PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
yep, bbl. must be turned down so that the die will fit over the muzzle to thread and even then the threads have a great chance of not coming out straight with the bore which will cause the muzzle device to cock to one side and possibly obstruct the bullet's path.

cheaper and safer to have it done professionally.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]
The barrel diameter has to be correct +/- a couple of thousandths for the 1/2"-28 thread.  I have the die, but I only use it to clean up existing threads.  I've seen some hand-cut barrel threads and, while functional, they weren't pretty.  Lathe-cut threading is the right way to do it.

I have the lathe and tooling if you are interested.  Please IM or email for info.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top