Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 2:06:54 PM EDT
What do you torque your barrel nut to? I've tried numerous times to reach the middle to high side of the specs but I can't get the nut much above 35-40 ft lbs before the teeth start breaking on the nut or the wrench breaks.

I've been tightening it as much as possible till the gas tube hole lines up and then I go test fire it. This method worked on the BM upper I took to the sand box.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
tacked thread up above that reads...headspace,torque values and barrel break-in

i have yet to use a torque wrench on any of my builds.

this is what i do.

torque to yield
loosen
tighten
loosen
tighten
loosen
tighten
line up next slot if its not already.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Apply moly lube to the barrel nut's threads. Torque it to 30#. If the gas tube will not clear a notch in the barrel nut, tighten more until it will. If you cannot align it without exceeding 80#, loosen and tighten it a few times, as this will lower the overall torque value.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
That info tells me I'm right in the ball park on my torque settings. I'm curious if anyone has been able to torque to 80 ft lbs without damaging something.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a couple of barrels that required that much torque. Nothing broke, and they both shoot fine.  It does take a good barrel wrench, though.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top