Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:44:42 AM EDT
I bought a Wilson Varmint Contour Barrel last year and I am finally putting the upper together.
The problem is that the Bushmaster VMatch FF handguard I bought won't fit over the barrel. I also tried a DPMS FF HG that I had laying around for another build and it would fit over the barrel either.

The barrell is a SS 20in that is over an inch thick, the FFHG barrel nut lip won't fit over the barrel.

Does anyone make a FFHG for this kind of barrel?  I would expect so, since the guy I bought the barrel from had one.

ETA: I measured the barrel tonight and it 1.05 inches thick.

Thanks
Steve 'cityrepo61'
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact Bushmaster, they should have something that will work with their product.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
the vmatch bbl. nut is for a hvybbl. and what is sounds like you have is a bull barrel.

the bull bbl. is 1 3/16" if i remember correctly at the bbl. extension so you will need a ff for a bull barrel or open up the i.d. of the barrel nut you have.

i ran into the same problem when trying to install a yhm tube on my bull bbl. that was suppose to fit, measurements were taken by me and measurements of the tube was given but it was still off so i just opened up the inside diameter of the "lip" on the bbl. nut and it worked perfect.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the vmatch bbl. nut is for a hvybbl. and what is sounds like you have is a bull barrel.

the bull bbl. is 1 3/16" if i remember correctly at the bbl. extension so you will need a ff for a bull barrel or open up the i.d. of the barrel nut you have.

i ran into the same problem when trying to install a yhm tube on my bull bbl. that was suppose to fit, measurements were taken by me and measurements of the tube was given but it was still off so i just opened up the inside diameter of the "lip" on the bbl. nut and it worked perfect.

I was thinking about that since it is only +-.05 inches. How could I go about doing it?

Thanks
Steve
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the YHM nut sitting in front of me measures 1.063 through the bore, so a 1.050 barrel should be a slam dunk.  This is the nut from a lightweight 4-rail FF handguard - I presume all of the YHM stuff is the same.

Lem
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
there's a lip on the inner dia. of the bbl. nut that sits against the bbl. shoulder that's were the problem is.

i used a die grinder/dremel to open it up some.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top